• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wyndham John

W

Wendy

I have been asked by a friend If I can find any info on the following;

John Wyndham (author) lived at 239 Hagley Road, Edgbaston from 1904-1911 but then moved elsewhere in Edgbaston from 1911-15. Any help to try and find the family would be appreciated?

They moved apparently because their father left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found him in 1911 as John Beynon Harris, with father, mother, brother and who I'm guessing are 3 servants.

No luck anywhere else.

Don't know if this, which I came accross last year doing research on Smethwick, is any help. His grandfather was John Israel Parkes, who owned the Eagle works in Rolfe St, Smethwick, a nail manufacturer. John figured in a notorious court case in 1913, where his son in law attempted unsuccessfully to sue him for " conspiracy for depriving him of the custody, control, and society of his wife and children". There are a number of repoets in the british newspaper archives (though non from london as these are in different paid-for archives),.Below are two from the western times, and the Manchester courier. I have two much longer reports from during the trial in the manchester courier as pdfs if you are interested in more details.

manchester_courier_14_3_1913.jpg

western_times_6_3_1913.jpg

Thank you so much for all the information I will pass it on. I am extremely grateful for all the help on this request.

This article says after living at the large house in Edgbaston (239 Hagley Road) John Wyndham Harris moved with his mother Gertrude and brother Vivian to a 'small house in Edgbaston' until 1915.
In 1911 He attended Miss (Mabel) Woodwards private School in Edgbaston and then 1914-1915 he attended Edgbaston High School for boys.

Where would the records be for these Schools? (The 100 year privacy law may be up on some of them)
also what about the recently released Birmingham Rates - would his mother appear on them?

https://www.questia.com/library/jou...n-wyndham-and-the-sins-of-his-father-damaging

Out of curiosity, most articles I've seen give his full name as "John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris". From what I've seen here, I'd guess that some of those names are actually relatives' surnames and not the ones he was christened/registered with. As far as I know the only one he didn't have anything published under was Harris. I've seen books that use all of the others.
So what was his name really?

John Wyndham's birth certificate gives his name as John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris. John was his grandfather's name, Wyndham was his uncle's name but is believed to have come from his father George Beynon Harris who liked to claim connections to the Wyndham name in Wales, Parkes was his mother's maiden name, Lucas another name his father had assumed, Beynon his grandmother's maiden name and Harris.

In his daily life he used John Beynon Harris, and he wrote a number of short stories and articles under that name.

Don't know if this, which I came accross last year doing research on Smethwick, is any help. His grandfather was John Israel Parkes, who owned the Eagle works in Rolfe St, Smethwick, a nail manufacturer. John figured in a notorious court case in 1913, where his son in law attempted unsuccessfully to sue him for " conspiracy for depriving him of the custody, control, and society of his wife and children". There are a number of repoets in the british newspaper archives (though non from london as these are in different paid-for archives),.Below are two from the western times, and the Manchester courier. I have two much longer reports from during the trial in the manchester courier as pdfs if you are interested in more details.

manchester_courier_14_3_1913.jpg

western_times_6_3_1913.jpg

I WOULD LOVE A COPY OF ANY DETAILS YOU HAVE ON THE COURT CASE BETWEEN GEORGE BEYNON HARRIS AND JOHN ISRAEL PARKES
as i have been researching this family as my second cousin in Canada is related to George Beynon Harris , his Brother Wyndham is her Great Grandfather , and these families have been so interesting to research
regards PEBBLEBREW

Pebblebrew
I have some other newspaper reports. As you are a new member am not sure if you can yet use the private message system. If you can (go to "inbox" in top right-hand corner of the page and click on it. then click on "start a new conversation" in the box that comes up), then, if you send me your e-mail address I will send them to you
Mike

John Wyndham (author) lived at 239 Hagley Road, Edgbaston from 1904-1911 but then moved elsewhere in Edgbaston from 1911-15. Any help to try and find the family would be appreciated?

Hi i have researched the Harris Family way back to the Gower in Wales which is where George Beynon Harris Father of John Wyndham Harris was born
regards Pebblebrew

Hi have researched this family and i have a full family tree for them the Harris family and the parks family
Regards pebblbrew

is there a photograph of the Eagle Nail Factory of Rolfe Street Birmingham owned by The Parkes Family (Iron Masters)

must say i have not heard of a rolfe st in birmingham...the only one i know of is in the black country and i think the black country was known for its nail making..

lyn

map c 1918 showing eagle works of Joseph Parkes in rolfe St.jpg The factory was on two sides of the road, as shown in red on this map. The map is c1919, which probably means it was surveyed slightly earlier, around the time of the firm going out of business in 1915.

What name were they using and who would have been the head of the family at the time? I have a copy of Kelly's directory from 1912 that has a listing for private residents in surname order. It's not necessarily going to have the listing but it's worth a shot. There are over 2 columns of Harris and slightly less than one of Parkes.

What name were they using and who would have been the head of the family at the time? I have a copy of Kelly's directory from 1912 that has a listing for private residents in surname order. It's not necessarily going to have the listing but it's worth a shot. There are over 2 columns of Harris and slightly less than one of Parkes.
Not sure, but mother would have been either Gertrude Parkes or, more likely, Gertrude Harris.

From Wikipedia his father's name was George Beynon Harris. Kelly's have 7 George Harrises in 1912.
2 are listed with a middle name/initial but they are Hy and T so they can be rejected.
The addresses of the rest are:-
112 Church Rd Moseley
2 Hampden St Balsall Heath
67 Kendal Rd Sparkbrook
3 Oakwood Rd, Spark Hill
110 Willows Rd Balsall Heath
None of these are listed at those addresses in 1898 or 1935. The Kendal Rd address is the only one listed in 1898 and someone else lived there.
It may be that they lived elsewhere and weren't listed.

In 1911, his parents separated so his father becomes superfluous to the search, so it is where he lived with his mother. I have read that it was elsewhere and nearby in a smaller house in Edgbaston.

I had not previously realised but there are listings for Mrs in the Ms of each surname.
There were Mrs Harris listed at: -
38 Alexandra Rd
28 Booth St, Handsworth,
405 Coventry Rd
100 Fentham Rd, Aston
31 Fountain Rd
Gothic Villa, Shirley Rd, Acocks Green
127 Gravelly La, Erdington
269 Hagley Rd
367 Moseley Rd,
5 Vicarage Rd, Edgbaston
59 Woodstock Rd, Moseley

There are also listings for Miss, Misses, Ann, Ethel, and Rebecca Harris.
There are also entries for 6 Mrs Parkes.
I think districts are only listed as disambiguation where there is more than one road of that name. All but Coventry Rd and Moseley Rd of the unidentified addresses above would have been in Edgbaston. If you want the listings for Parkes as well write again.

Back