• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wylde Green

rubery

proper brummie kid
Thanks Peter, it looks as though they're in the Lindenhurst plot doesn't it? The original plot went a good third of the way down to Orphanage Road.
Hi, there was a part of Orphanage Road in Wylde Green, houses were named but numbers would be 288-300 kind regards

Another Midland Red bus by the old Erdington Tram Terminus. The wall of the 'never photographed' Broadfields House in view with an unusual 'honeycomb' looking structure above it.
View attachment 122320
I am writing a history of Wylde Green, would it be possible to include this wonderful photograph in the transport chapter. Kind regards Deryk

Hi Rubery,
Most old street photos on this site are copies from various sources such as scans from books or copies from various sites. I have more than a 100 of my own photos on the BHF and accept that they will be copied and shown elsewhere as some have. I do not scan from books but do copy photos from various places on the internet. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I copied it from but I was probably searching for information about Broadfields which was behind the bus.

Most owners of images are fairly tolerant of them appearing on 'non-profit' sites such as the BHF but could ask at any time for removal after proof of ownership. They probably would not accept their images being published in a book without permission or some other arrangement.

oldmohawk

That is a very helpful response, my thanks to you. The target for the book is break-even as it is a community project. I did find that people were very supportive of my book on Rubery, which has jus reached break-even if you do not take my time and expenses into account. Photo of Wylde green are hard to come by but I hope to be speaking to the elderly group at the parish church in June.

1578798930517.png
My grandmother Agnes Parlett ran a shop on Green Lanes Sutton Coldfield - this is a photo of the inside.1578799236293.png
This was the outside. The house is still there. The shop rebuilt as a garage now with extension above. The house is opposite Wylde Green Primary school. Anyone remember it and my gran?

Last edited:
Hi Rubery,
Most old street photos on this site are copies from various sources such as scans from books or copies from various sites. I have more than a 100 of my own photos on the BHF and accept that they will be copied and shown elsewhere as some have. I do not scan from books but do copy photos from various places on the internet. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I copied it from but I was probably searching for information about Broadfields which was behind the bus.

Most owners of images are fairly tolerant of them appearing on 'non-profit' sites such as the BHF but could ask at any time for removal after proof of ownership. They probably would not accept their images being published in a book without permission or some other arrangement.

oldmohawk

oM, did you find anything out about Broadfields? This is one house that has always challenged me. Although I've found lots out about the people that lived there, any pictures of the property have been lost in the mists of time. I haven't given up however.

oM, did you find anything out about Broadfields? This is one house that has always challenged me. Although I've found lots out about the people that lived there, any pictures of the property have been lost in the mists of time. I haven't given up however.
Hi Lady P, no I never found anything. It seems to be one of those places in Erdington/Wylde Green which did not get photographed.
:)

Thanks oM, I thought it was a long shot. I've had a few thoughts about where I may get a little more information so I'll pursue those routes. I'll keep you in the loop if I find anything.

Millardes, Wylde Green (ladies clothes shop), closing after 82 years trading.Sign of the times... :pensive:

Millardes, Wylde Green (ladies clothes shop), closing after 82 years trading.Sign of the times... :pensive:

I wondered whether this would happen. I am so sorry to hear this as I remember their original shop at Stockland Green and the opening of this one.

I wondered whether this would happen. I am so sorry to hear this as I remember their original shop at Stockland Green and the opening of this one.
Apparently it was the current owner's grandmother who opened the first shop. Another end of an era- lots of them at the moment!

View attachment 140595
My grandmother Agnes Parlett ran a shop on Green Lanes Sutton Coldfield - this is a photo of the inside.View attachment 140596
This was the outside. The house is still there. The shop rebuilt as a garage now with extension above. The house is opposite Wylde Green Primary school. Anyone remember it and my gran?
Hi Sally, we live in this house, have done for 30 years. We have multiple documents with Phillip Parlett and Agnes Parlett regarding the purchase of the shop. Feel free to knock on

Attachments

• 16277573021491178538765352822705.jpg
    16277573021491178538765352822705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 16277573399056570711872178094903.jpg
    16277573399056570711872178094903.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I bought my mother of the bride outfit from millardes in Sutton Coldfield for my daughters wedding 15 years ago the ladies were lovely

Back