• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wylde Green School, Green Lanes School

Great photo! I am new to this website so a bit behind all the posts. I left Wylde Green County Primary School in 1965. The play I remember was Aladdin - I was Aladdin!! Our headteacher was Mr Lawson and I met my best friend there - we still meet up regularly. Also went on the school trip to Paignton in Devon - I think it was the first one they did. Does anyone else remember a Mr Agnew?

Rubery
This is the photo, but hopefully can send a better resolution to email.
View attachment 133876
Great photo! I am new to this website so a bit behind all the posts. I left Wylde Green County Primary School in 1965. The play I remember was Aladdin - I was Aladdin!! Our headteacher was Mr Lawson and I met my best friend there - we still meet up regularly. Also went on the school trip to Paignton in Devon - I think it was the first one they did. Does anyone else remember a Mr Agnew?

Wow, amazing photo of that Aladdin play but in what year was it staged?
I remember that I was chosen by my 2nd year infants teacher, Mrs. Shuttleworth, to be Joseph in the Nativity
Play in 1964. But I knew instinctively even in that tiny little 6 year old mind of mine that I did not want to be
in it. I was always shy and introverted and I seem to recall ''freezing'' on the night, quite literally struck dumb
and overwhelmed by the sea of faces before me! Vanessa Kelsall may well have been Mary.
In my 1st year, I was taught by Miss Nicholls, then Shuttleworth, then Mrs. Davis, Miss Jones across the road
in the annexe, then Mr. Ellison and finally Mrs. Showell. I attended from 1963 to 1969 and generally I have happy
memories of the school. I have quite a good memory but I cannot recall a Mr. Agnew, no recollection at all.

If you google...''The History Of the Green Lanes Schools - S/C 1840-1980''...you will find a very comprehensive
and detailed account of our old school. Best to scroll right down to the very end. You will find a long list of
teacher names and some old B/W photos of the staff. Mr. Agnew may be there.

Wow, amazing photo of that Aladdin play but in what year was it staged?
I remember that I was chosen by my 2nd year infants teacher, Mrs. Shuttleworth, to be Joseph in the Nativity
Play in 1964. But I knew instinctively even in that tiny little 6 year old mind of mine that I did not want to be
in it. I was always shy and introverted and I seem to recall ''freezing'' on the night, quite literally struck dumb
and overwhelmed by the sea of faces before me! Vanessa Kelsall may well have been Mary.
In my 1st year, I was taught by Miss Nicholls, then Shuttleworth, then Mrs. Davis, Miss Jones across the road
in the annexe, then Mr. Ellison and finally Mrs. Showell. I attended from 1963 to 1969 and generally I have happy
memories of the school. I have quite a good memory but I cannot recall a Mr. Agnew, no recollection at all.
I think the photo on show was of Snow White from a couple of years later. Aladdin was in either 1964 or 1965. I have no pictures I’m afraid! From your chat I’m guessing I would have been in top juniors when you were in the infants. I was taught then by Mrs Holmes (Junior Year 3) and Mr Agnew (Junior Year 4). Perhaps you may remember a radio programme made by the top class and ‘broadcast’ to the whole school?

I think the photo on show was of Snow White from a couple of years later. Aladdin was in either 1964 or 1965. I have no pictures I’m afraid! From your chat I’m guessing I would have been in top juniors when you were in the infants. I was taught then by Mrs Holmes (Junior Year 3) and Mr Agnew (Junior Year 4). Perhaps you may remember a radio programme made by the top class and ‘broadcast’ to the whole school?
I have just come across another website which has lots of photos, who knows you may be there, also Mr. Agnew?
It is ....''Green Lanes | Sutton Coldfield Local History Research Group''.
I missed out the name of Mrs. Crook. She was my teacher in the 3rd year of infants.
In what year, did you take the 11+ Exam? I failed it in 1968 and went on to Riland-Bedford HS - not really a happy
experience, not with the threat of the cane or the slipper. I achieved 6 ''O'' Levels and 2 ''A'' Levels but they were
very poor grades. I don't think I had a shred of confidence about me by the time I left in 1976.

I took the 11+ in 1965 and went on to Sutton Coldfied Grammar School for Girls on Jockey Road. I'm not sure any of us had a particularly confidence-boosting time at secondary school back then! Will check out the site you mentioned.

I took the 11+ in 1965 and went on to Sutton Coldfied Grammar School for Girls on Jockey Road. I'm not sure any of us had a particularly confidence-boosting time at secondary school back then! Will check out the site you mentioned.
Looks like Mr. Agnew was there for two years between April 1964 to April 1966.
Yes, I remember headmaster Mr. Lawson, he is on one of the staff photos.
A gentle giant, a very nice gentleman. His successor in 1967, Mr. Stones was rather stern, strong on discipline.
I think there was a bit of bullying after you left. I remember being reduced to tears after one lad punched me
really hard in the back, totally unprovoked. And amazingly, there was one girl almost like a mini Cassius Clay
who was handy with her fists - punching other girls and making them cry.

Last edited:
Looks like Mr. Irwin was there for two years between April 1964 to April 1966.
Yes, I remember headmaster Mr. Lawson, he is on one of the staff photos.
A gentle giant, a very nice gentleman. His successor in 1967, Mr. Stones was rather stern, strong on discipline.
I think there was a bit of bullying after you left. I remember being reduced to tears after one lad punched me
really hard in the back, totally unprovoked. And amazingly, there was one girl almost like a mini Cassius Clay
who was handy with her fists - punching other girls and making them cry.
Can you remember how many other boys and girls passed the 11+ Exam from your year group?
I read somewhere that it was only ever a small minority in most schools nationally.
I always remember a boy by the name of Nicholas Miles who lived in Emmanuel Road. He was always
top of the class, he came first in most subjects. I assume he must have gone to Bishop Vesey GS but I
have no idea about any others who passed.

As far as I recall only 3 girls - including myself - passed the 11+ that year and went on to Sutton Grammar in September 1965. I don't know how many - if any! - boys passed and went ot Bishop Vesey.

Back