• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wyddrington House Edgbaston

truebritmega

knowlegable brummie
Hi there, Im trying to find any photos, or details of the house Sir John Ratcliff had built, "Wyddrington" a number of my distant family lived here, Sir John was my 3xgreat aunts... brother

Anything? anyone?

And are there any photos of Sir John? he was a former mayor of Birmingham

Thank you everybody :) Im sure eventually we'll get more on it lol....
I do know that Wyddrington (its also seen at times as widdrington, and a few varitions of it) was, where Birmingham University is now, one of the halls is where it was I believe, (tho i havent contacted birmingham uni yet)...

Thank you Aidan, yes I found the coat of arms thingy the other day, and thers a picture of the crest too in that 150 page report you mentioned (I was trying to see if theres a way I can shrink that report down too lolol 150 is a lotta pages to print LOL)

Thank you Leslam for checking your edgbaston books :) (could you see if that book also mentions an Edmund Heeley, silversmith? he lived in Lime Grove Lodge, and George street, Edmund is my great 3 x great uncle, who married Mary Ann Ratcliff... Edmund was born and died in Edgbaston, 1799-1871)

And yes Pollypops :) that is My rootschat thread you stumbled on hehehe and thank you for giving me the reference for ancestry, I have got a months subscription to ancestry.... but I dont know how to search via the reference... perhaps someone here can tell me how I do that? a lot of other people seem to track census details on there by it, but I just cant see how lol

I used to work at Wydrington Hall / Lake Hall in the kitchen as Assistant Cook in 1968-71. There were six Halls of Residence for students on the Vale Estate at that time. I was told that my Great Uncle trained at the original Wyddrington.
I think it might have been nearer to the Egbaston Hall, which is the Golf Course. (I've seen a pen & ink drawing somewhere??).
The Halls have been changed a great deal in the last few years, and also re-named.

The Lodge, Wyddrington House, Church Rd, Edgbaston
Mary a Devey 52 Lodge Keeper - widow - born salope
Elizabeth Devey 22 - daughter - Jeweller - swivel springs & clasp - born Bham
James E Devey 20 - son - telegraphist 2nd class - born Bham
John Lewis 34 - boarder - groom - born warley, worcester
Edwin Dawes - 17 - under groom - born cornwall

The Cottage - do -
Charles Loach - 48 - Head - coachman - born snitterfield, warwick
martha E Loach - wife - 54 - born barford, warwick

Wyddrington House
Theodore S Wilson - son - 30 - registered medical practicioner & consulting physician - born Bham
Alfred Wilson - son - 25 - chemical manufacturer - born bham
Harriet Sanders - 62 - servant domestic nurse - born wolverhampton
Sarah A Coddington - 45 - servant cook - born berks wellford
caroline penn - 35 - housemaid - warwick ettington
emily isham - 18 - parlourmaid - bham
annie collins - 20 - housemaid - gloucester tewkesbury
miriam jones - 20 - kitchen maid - worcester stourport

Suzanne

Rosie

Are these what you are looking for, I'm not very well up on the area myself but I'm pretty sure they are both correct.

Phil

EdgbastonChurchRdWyddringtonsketchbyAllenEveritt1858.jpg
EdgbastonGroveadjacenttoWyddrington1954.jpg

Hello Phil
The title of the first pic comes up as the church, but I think they are both the original Wyddrington. The one I remember is more of a front view.
Thank-you
Rosie

Rosie & I'm sorry I should have included the original person to inquire after these photos "truebritmega". I'm glad the photos are the genuine McCoy. I think the Church that is mentioned in the Title is Church Rd. Where I believe Wyddrington stood.

Phil

Sorry! The first is Wyddrington and the second one is Edgbaston Grove nearby, ( the title means Church Rd.)
Rosie.

Just found a picture the same as #12. The caption is "Wyddrington, Church Road; this house had some of the most renowned gardens in 19th century Edgbaston".

The section that I wanted to look through at the central library, where there is a chance of a short biography and maybe a picture is currently being "moved" (doesn't say where to!) Bit of a queue at the desk, so I didn't ask when they would be available again. I'll ty again next week if I'm in there

thank you everybody so much!!!!! (im going thru them all and looking into it all further...) as to the maps, it looks like wyddrington was quite a sizeable plot too? :) thank you :)

And the pictures... edgbaston church? edgbaston church was wyddrington house? ty so much for the pictures!!!...I cant believe that Im finally seeing it!, was edgbaston grove... somethign to do with wyddrington? the reason I ask, is edmund Heeley (who married Sir Johns sister) lived at Lime Grove Lodge, Edgbaston... but Ive not found a photo etc of that either, could edgbaston lodge... be lime grove lodge?

And ty Leslam too, for saying youll look in birmingham library for me...

I do appreciate the help all of you have given me!...

This aft, I also emailed Birmingham University too to see if they might know more, after all, if the university built its halls on wyddrington....?

Wyddrington was on Church Rd. The church was (and still is!) off the bottom of the map I posted. The caption that I posted in my last post is the one that goes with the earlier photo.
I'm not at home today and don't have access to my computer, but later I will post a map that includes the church and Edgbaston Grove. The lodge for this still exists I think.

(Map is replacement)

Attachments

• map c 1890 showing position of Wyddrington House. church lane, edgebaston.jpg
    map c 1890 showing position of Wyddrington House. church lane, edgebaston.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a stoneware mug with a silver rim and inscription 'Wyddrington Tournament August 1891 Ladies & Gentlemen's Doubles First Prize'. Can anyone enlighten me?

IMG_1503.jpg

Mayor of Birmingham three times consecutively, and on the occasion of Queen Vic's visit to open Aston Park, he received a knighthood.

"He was for many years engaged in the trade of the town, and had realised a large fortune, a considerable portion of which he devoted to charitable purposes. " (1864)

The name John Radcliffe crops up in the thread Edmund Heeley, Silversmith.

Thanks, As far as I am aware John Radcliffe is not in my family tree. I'm keen to know if they held regular tennis tournaments at Wyddrington House or was 1891 a special year? And which of my family might have been there. I'll post a picture of the mug/beaker later on.

Back