• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wyatt John

Phil68

I've been looking for the grave of John Wyatt. I know he was buried in the N.E. corner of St Philip's churchyard near the site of the original Blue Coat School. I read that his gravestone had been found but that it was damaged and later restored. But where is it? I couldn't find it in the N.E. corner - or anyone else in the churchyard.
I found his parents tomb at Weeford.
Can anyone help me?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Phil

Hi Phil,

I've only just spotted your message but welcome to the forum anyway! Have you seen the other thread about John Wyatt?

You may have all this information but it's very interesting. I've been asked to look at this for the Sutton Local History Society so would be interested in anything you find please. In turn I'll keep you posted if I find anything out about his grave.

Hi Phil,

I've only just spotted your message but welcome to the forum anyway! Have you seen the other thread about John Wyatt?

You may have all this information but it's very interesting. I've been asked to look at this for the Sutton Local History Society so would be interested in anything you find please. In turn I'll keep you posted if I find anything out about his grave.

Thanks Lady P,

Yes I have read that post. Some of the information is accurate and some less so. It was on the strength of the original post that I spent a fruitless hour searching the cathedral precincts for Wyatt's headstone. I had found a photo of it from 1953, I believe, and a picture of the entry of his burial in the church register; but of the gravestone I could find no sign.
I'm a tour guide for the Arkwright Society and I'm preparing a talk on the origins of roller spinning - a fascinating if somewhat confusing story. This led to a particular interest in John Wyatt and subsequently the remarkable Wyatt family of Weeford. If you or anyone else comes across information about the location of the stone I'd be very grateful.
I found a number of sources covering parts of the story but the most authoritative I found to be "The Cotton Trade and Industrial Lancashire 1600 - 1780" by Wadsworth and de Lacy Mann.

Phil

Just a thought - I was reading another thread the other day but unfortunately I can't locate it this morning. I'm sure someone will be able to however. Apparently Colmore Row was widened in the early 20th C and I was wondering if the information you had found about the position of John Wyatt's grave was up to date as the road works may have affected it.

Hi Phil,

Hello Lady P, I thought you would like a copy of this picture that I have had on my pc for a long long time, however, I failed to make a note of where I got it from. I hope this is ok to post it here.

I've been looking for the grave of John Wyatt. I know he was buried in the N.E. corner of St Philip's churchyard near the site of the original Blue Coat School. I read that his gravestone had been found but that it was damaged and later restored. But where is it? I couldn't find it in the N.E. corner - or anyone else in the churchyard.
I found his parents tomb at Weeford.
Can anyone help me?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Phil
Hi Phil, I have added a picture of John Wyatt's gravestone, please see below.

hi mindy is there any way that you could post the photo again please so that we can click on it to enlarge so that the inscription can be read..thanks

lyn

Apologies Mindy 1459, I can't think why I didn't thank you for the photos you posted. However, a bit late but thank you anyway! They're smashing.

Back