• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WWII Barrage Balloon Sites

Could be Hamstead Road near to Brown's Green. Further down Hamstead Road, towards the hill into Hamstead Village, the houses were extremely large and probably 1920's. I know of no other part of Handsworth Wood that has Edwardian houses in, they are mostly post-war. The area has been redeveloped, yes, but not much recently, mostly just prior to and just after the war. On Hamstead Road the gardens slope towards the pavement, at least I think they do, but there is not a council estate anywhere near. You may mean Grestone Avenue and the surrounding area, but they are private. Apart from this, I can be of little help, although I know the area very well. Wood Lane may be common in name, but that particular Wood Lane has been there since the early 1800's if not earlier. There is a cottage there which was built in the late 1700's, it may have been part of a farm. I wish I could help further!

Thanks, Shortie, much appreciated. I am writing a family history for my grandchildren, and have been able to trace most of the houses in which my family have lived, but the Handsworth house remains a mystery. Thanks anyway. Arrow

Hi Arrow - you now say Handsowrth and not Handsworth Wood - I presume you know they are different? I would suggest you ask someone on the Forum to look for them on the Electoral Roll, I am sure someone will oblige and then you will know for sure.

Did Phil ever finish his research/book on barrage balloons? A cousin of mine, around ten years old at the height of the war, sent me a written memory. At the time, she was living on Daisy Farm Road, Warstock, south of central Birmingham. She said there were barrage balloons located near Daisy Farm Park, which I believe was near Gorleston Road. There were anti-aircraft guns on Daisy Farm Road, and a German aircraft crashed in a local field, known as The Stiles. The Prince of Wales Pub was very close by. Don't know if this is in an area Phil was looking at and/or researching, or if he's maybe already done, but throw this out just in case it's of any interest.

Ann

Hi Anne,
I've just found your post.
I grew up near Daisy Farm park and the balloon barrage your cousin mentioned was just across the road, in a field bordered by Maypole lane and Highters Heath lane. We kids played in there after the war and (not surprisingly) called it "The Balloon Field".
Talking to my (95 year-old) mother today, she remembers a balloon catching fire on the site. From what I read here, this was quite a common occurrence !

Hi Arrow - you now say Handsowrth and not Handsworth Wood - I presume you know they are different? I would suggest you ask someone on the Forum to look for them on the Electoral Roll, I am sure someone will oblige and then you will know for sure.

Hello, Shortie, Yes, sorry, I hadn't fully taken in that Handsworth and Handsworth Wood are different entities. I am pretty certain that where we were living was in Handsworth Wood. And thanks for the tip re: electoral rolls. I'm not sure that my parents would have been in residence long enough to appear on an ER as I think we only lived there for about a year.

Hello Anne, I know my wife is american and it is not easy if you are not here in the UK!
Would you like to create a word document about what you are trying to do with any dead ends or queries you have and I can then publish it on our website and can also put it into our newletters to see if any of ex-balloon operators can help.

Peter

Is there any way the missing images can be reinstated or are they lost forever. ?
It's sad that there are so many memories but only a few real images.

I remember seeing a Balloon site in Digby Park Small Heath. My dad told me that a balloon broke away from its moorings and came down in Heather Road with its cables draped over the roofs of houses causing a great deal of damage. aggie

On a quick look through the Posts I haven't seen mention of a Balloon located at the Yatching Pool Bournville. I passed one there on my way to Bournville School.

Does anyone know the location of 915 Squadron's Barrage Balloon site number 17? This concerns the balloon cable which engaged an already stricken Heinkel in the early hours of 10th April 1941 which crashed at Smethwick.

There was a barrage balloon (largely female) crew sited in playing fields half way down Oakhurst Road, Acocks Green. Used to watch them inflating the balloon and raising it up into the sky attached to its steel cable. One night we also had an anti aircraft gun in the road firing away (mainly to boost public morale I think, rather than to shoot planes down). A prized shrapnel find to us boys was a frgment of the brass vernier gauge from the end of a shell, used to set the height at which the shell would explode.

I may have added this to subject some time ago but just for the record, there was a balloon site in the park on the corner of Witton Lodge Road and Dovedale Road. The mooring rings where still to be found in the grass well into the 1950s.

I may have added this to subject some time ago but just for the record, there was a balloon site in the park on the corner of Witton Lodge Road and Dovedale Road. The mooring rings where still to be found in the grass well into the 1950s.
have just uncovererd what i belive to be barrage balloon anchor point in my garden in solihull near ice rink 28x28 inch concrete slab with 1inch dia steel eye bolt and 1inch dia steel ring. was there a site in this area to protect the rover plant or elmdon air port would be grateful any info on this site

hello elmdon that sounds very interesting...would it be possible for you to post a photo of it please...

all the best

lyn

Back