• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WWII Air Raid Victims

Although I can't access 1939 register I can see some info and a Sarah Byfield (b 1878) is listed with Bernard Woodhouse + 2 others. On the e roll for 1939 Bernard Woodhouse is listed at 33 Belmont Road. Not sure if this helps.

In the 1939 register.
33 Belmont Road.
Sarah E Byfield 09 Oct 1878 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 80 4
Bernard Woodhouse 19 Jun 1888 Male Rubber Down On Coach Painter Married 80 1
Florence Woodhouse 02 Jan 1886 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 80 2
Frances M Martin (Woodhouse) 24 Jul 1922 Female Hand Painter Leather Ge? Single 80 3

Byfield Household (3 People) 49 Alma Street , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Marion (Sarah) Skelding (Byfield) 18 Mar 1886 Female Wardrobe Dealer Married 128 2
Charles Byfield 06 Sep 1883 Male Frame Fitter Railway Carriage Married 128 1
Sidney A Byfield 03 Dec 1911 Male Hairdresser Master Single 128 3

There's another family in Selly Oak but spelled Bayfield.

Thankyou all very much for the response and information, in regards to my G. Grandmother, Sarah Byfield, being injured in the blitz, 1940. Having taken advice from Astoness, to look at the '1911 census' it showed Sarah living at 34 Hick St.with my G.Grandfather, William Byfield. So now I should obtain a death certificate for William, and see what happened there. But once again, much appreciation for the help. It certainly seems to be my Sarah, whom at least didn't die after the terrible event 22/11/1940.
Blessed.

This notice in the Birmingham Daily Gazette in October 1945 is a terribly sad reminder of the air raid victims of WW2. It must have been a grim job sorting out these personal effects of a person's life. Especially sad is the watch chain and medal found on the street after an air raid in November 1940. Of course, there's always the possibility that some items were simply lost. Hopefully some effects were reunited with their owners or the families of victims. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
My grandparents, Phillip George Bennett and Emma (nee Byfield) immigrated to Victoria, Australia after W.W1 from Birmingham ( Deritend/Aston). But recently, by accident, I came across a website which happened to honour by name, the people killed and wounded in the W.W 2 Birmingham blitzes, one person was, I thought must be my G.Grandmother a Mrs. Sarah Byfield. It was never mentioned during any conversation over the years by my grandmother, as was probably the 'norm' for the older folks, not to mention anything like that to the kids. My G.Grandmother's name was Sarah Elizabeth Byfield (nee West), it is possible that it may not have been her whom was wounded, but the name is certainly not common. The research project on the 'site' was carried out by, I think, a school/university.
Thankyou,
Blessed.

(Is there more to come, Blessed? - ChrisM, Admin)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back