• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW2 Terminology

craiguito

master brummie
I have recently acquired my grandad's army service records 1929-1945. I'm still slowly trawling my way through - not helped by certain accronyms and abbreviations. Can anyone tell me what "Struck of Strength" means, also TOS, which I presume is a related accronym?
Many thanks in advance.

Craig

I have recently acquired my grandad's army service records 1929-1945. I'm still slowly trawling my way through - not helped by certain accronyms and abbreviations. Can anyone tell me what "Struck of Strength" means, also TOS, which I presume is a related accronym?
Many thanks in advance.

Craig
"Struck off strength" is army speak for having a soldier's name taken of the nominal roll of a unit Craig, usually when he was permanently posted somewhere else. I would venture to suggest that "TOS" would be short for him being Taken On Strength at his new unit.

Thanks for the replies. I have another - RALR. My grandfather was awarded compassionate leave with RALR. I've tried googling it but can't seem to find anything.

Total guess - "Right to ask/apply for late return" ??

As you say, Craig, nothing apparently relevant via Google.

Chris

Back