• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW2 Royal Warwickshires. How can I discover my Dads Army records?

Lynda Harvey

Brummie Born and Bred
I'm sure someone will have the info I am seeking, bless you. Dad was in the Royal Warwickshires before the war and was called up when war was declared. He didn't ever say a lot to me about what he did in the war, although I think he ended up in Africa and I know he trained african soldiers out there and I think he was a sargeant. He had many pictures of them after the war, which have been lost over time. also I know he must have been in europe at the time of dunkirk as we were told he came home at that time. His name was Cyril Robert Harris bless him, and he may have joined up in the thirties in Erdington, although all his family came from Nechells/Aston.
You army buffs are always very helpful, so I wonder whether you can help me this time
Best wishes
Lynda

Type in your search bar- Veterans Agency UK they will give plenty of help just click on the boxes. Len.

Lynda - the information takes some time to come through but the address for disclosures was:

Army Personnel Centre
Civil Secretariate
Historical Disclosures
Mail Point 400
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX

E-mail: [email protected]

0141 224 2743

Good luck. Mabz :)

Free: 0800 169 2277 (UK only) Lynda Harvey, you can make enquries by ringing this freephone, i have used it and they are very helpful. Len.

Free: 0800 169 2277 (UK only) Lynda Harvey, you can make enquries by ringing this freephone, i have used it and they are very helpful. Len.

Len - I wish I had known that previously because I had to make several calls before I received my fathers war records. :)

Thanks both.
That info was very useful. Have had a look through and will phone them tomorrow. Looks as if there is a £30.00 charge, but will be guided by what I learn tomorrow. Thanks again for your help as I didn't know where to start.
Best wishes
Lynda:confused2::)

Lynda Harvey, I think the £30 charge only applies if you use one of the Agency reseachers. Len.

lynda :) be well guided by the excellent & accurate information already so kindly provided by friends, lencops & Mayfield

May i just add that during your enquiries you will be asked to provide proof that you have the rights to "your" information ,
You will need to provide copies of,,Your Birth cert, Fathers Birth cert & probably your Parents marriage cert,
They also have a "preference" to disclose the info to Proven eldest living relative, so you may need
to involve elder members of your family (direct Father line ) the Authorities are
understandably quite cautious (in these days of Identity theft etc) that this information is only given to the rightfull owners,
Just a few thoughts to assist your progress, cheers JohnY :cool:

My partner has applied for his father's naval records and I can confirm that the charge is £30.00 which is non-returnable even if they can't locate the records. We phoned them and they sent a pack with quite a long questionnaire and we had to send copies of his parent's marriage certificate and Ray's birth certificate, and his father's death certificate. We didn't have his service number but did know the names of some of the ships he served on. We have received an acknowledgement this week saying that had to research manually and it could be up to 30 days before they can send the information. We wait with anticipation.

Does anyone know where I can obtain records of a member of the Royal Warwickshires who served in the Boer War? The Warwicks museum can't help ad the National Archives don't seem to have anything either.

RICHARD JOHN HOLLAND
DOB 22-01-1908 PLACE OF BIRTH BIRMINGHAM
PRIVATE IN 1st BATTALION ROYAL WARWICKSHIRES
SERVICE NUMBER 5103444
POW NUMBER 12498

The above mentioned is a member of my family and I am trying to build up a profile of him for his three daughters.
Any information will be very much appreciated.

sylviasayers, Navy service records were given to the Navy Service Men/Ladies when they were stood down. Len.

postie, Contact the Veterans Agency UK they are very helpful, Free phone 0800 169 2277 in UK only, Len.

I have just received my own Army National Service records,from Glasgow, (1948-1950), although it takes quite a time,(for very obvious logistical reasons), I did not have to pay anything for them, it is wonderful to have the dates and comments! of your service and to see copies of the forms that you filled in yourself at 18 years old is quite an eye opener!
Barney Martin

This is what we are hoping for, because richard never spoke about his army days.

I got my Army service records about 4yrs ago which covered my service from 1947 to 1949 and my Z Reserve call up in 1951, i never served over seas and on my records was the reason "This man is not to be posted abroad until he has been on trade training course" written by an officer in July 1947, i went on the course, i passed but the only water i crossed after was the Rivers Humber & Mersey!!. Len.

Lencops, we actually received Ray's father's naval records last week, but slightly disappointed as we expected some narrative, but it was just the date he enlisted 1927 - and the various ships he served on with the dates, and the date he was invalided out due to injuries received when his ship The Mallard was bombed. Also the various exams he passed and his rankings. They have given us two other addresses to find out more information of ship's photos from the National Maritime Museum or the Imperial War Museum. Ray remembers his dad telling him he was in China for 3 years in the early 30's, and other 3 year postings pre-war, but we can't make out from the records the details, and he was also in submarines but the records only give initials i.e. S.C . we wonder if this was submarine class, we will have to get someone more knowledgeable to decipher it.

Back