• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WW2 records

Maria Magenta

master brummie
Is it tremendously difficult to obtain the service records of a relative (father)? I seem to recall reading that it was. I've got some documents and photos, but thought perhaps I could fill in some gaps.
Is there a 'best' way?
maria

Maria,
You can contact the following address:

Army Personnel Centre,
Civil Secretariat,
Historical Disclosures,
Mail Point 400,
Kentigem House,
65 Brown Street,
GLASGOW G2 8EX

Tel: 0141 224 2744
E-mail: [email protected]

Please provide as much information as possible; i.e; Fathers full name, Regiment (if known), army number (ditto), and any other details you may be aware of..

You will also have to furnish details of your relationship to your father. You may have to wait for some time, they are always
very busy these days, due to many enquiries due to centenary celebrations.Hope you are successful. Eddie

I heard somewhere that when requesting records ask for them to help with 'transcribing' the information, as a lot of it is in numbers and codes and hard to understand, but I don't know the correct wording. I wish I did, as I know my dad was in the Royal Engineers 8th army, and that he was adopted, but keep hitting a brick wall - I wish you all the best with your search.

Chris

The site you want is www.veterans-uk.info This will guide you to a downloadable form for completion. The cost is £30 and records can take some months. The records details will also contain a list of abbreviations. I have done it for my wife's deceased mother and father.

Back