• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW2 Mince Pies!

Remarkable! I wonder if the letter is displayed anywhere which would give us the date and this lad's home address.

Chris

Remarkable! I wonder if the letter is displayed anywhere which would give us the date and this lad's home address.

I'll email the museum and ask them. Probably won't get a reply till after the Christmas holiday.

Later: email sent!

Last edited:
I received a photocopy of the letter and a transcript which Manx National Heritage have kindly given me permission to post on this site. Their deposit reference number is MS 14532

The date on the postmark is a little indistinct but most likely 1944 (or maybe 1941) and as far as I can make out it was posted at Princes Corner, Birmingham 17.

100 Alwold Road
Weoley Castle
Selly Oak
Bham 29
Mon July 3rd
Dear Phil
I am glad it passed again. You would find it interesting you have always been keen on electricity haven’t you. And I am pleased you had the money in time. I am sending a parcel but I will send the letter separately for I am waiting for some money to come through and I do not want to draw it out of the bank if I can manage without it. I forgot to say I received the form and if the other money does not come through tomorrow, I will draw £2.00 out of your bank and pay Dad his £1 – and send the other one on as well. Now let me tell you about Sunday.

Ivy and Barbara and Betty were here and Evelyn, and Aunty Hilda and Leslie turned up too. And didn’t we have a good time (a lot of ands in that sentence). Aunt Maggie wrote and asked us to go there yesterday as Don was home on leave, but as we couldn’t go Dad, Ivy and Betty went over in the morning, Don has a stiff leg (shrapnel wounds) and has to go back to hospital to next Friday. I think Evelyn enjoyed herself. Aunt Hilda nearly made her choke twice. The tears were running down our faces for she had us all laughing – you know her she keeps the fun going. We were playing a new game of cards that Ivy and Betty taught us. Evelyn went home with Leslie and Aunty Hilda about 9.30 so she would be OK. Betty and I saw them on to the bus. They got on easily and off went the bus with Hilda still waving and saying something to us at the stop. We do not know what it was she was saying but still we expect it was funny. Ivy and Betty went today about 11:30. Yesterday Babs was out on the front with Mary and everywhere Mary went so did Babs go. She called her … I wonder if your ears burned yesterday for we often spoke about you. Dad liked Evelyn and so did the others. She was just a little on the shy side but not one of those that you have to keep worrying to eat and make the talk. She just fitted herself in nicely…

She enjoyed herself and although she did not play cards (we played for money) she sat between Dad and Betty and watched the game in an interested way and I am sure she was enjoying it as much as we were. I am glad Hilda came though for she always makes everybody laugh. We made the bed up in the spare room as there was more room in that bed and this morning when I went into them Babs was standing up in the bed looking first through the one window to see 8 month chicks (they have 9 chicks now) and then through the side windows to watch the buses pass and wasn’t she excited. She is getting lovelier I think. Well in your parcel is a piece of Woolworth cake and a piece of the home made cake we had for tea. If you don’t get this parcel don’t worry as they may not pass it with sweets and cake in as you are not on the mainland, but shall try to push it through if I can. I think I have said all now but we shall be glad to see you when you do get a leave. I have taken that photo you sent us to Boots and they are making a negative of it.

Dad did not tell me what prints he wanted so I ordered a photograph to match the one of you in the ARP and 3 the same size as the original – If they turn out alright he will probably have some more taken as when we have the negative we can have some taken off at any time. The only trouble is we shall have to wait 2 to 3 weeks. Chris rang, he had a letter today. Ray Shooter had one last week. Doreen Morris told Joyce she had one last week I think and Evelyn had one Friday. She wrote me a little letter (Joyce Perry …) to see if July 2nd was convenient for me to come and visit us – that was nice of her wasn’t it. I think I have really told you all the news now, except to send you all the greetings everyone keeps asking me to send to you. Mrs Evans always asks about you and today she said we shall be glad to Phil it is about time he came on leave. Alf Evans asks after you. Mrs Preece, Mrs Needham, Blackbars Cartholes, Motts, Marsh-Cleators. Almost everyone round about so take it for said – their rememberances to you. Well God Bless and all our love from Mum and Dad 16 X

PS Wednesday
Parcel with eatables in are OK as your address is not GPO. My money has come through so here is the other £1.0.0. to tide you over. Best love from Mom 16 X

Attachments

• Letter.pdf
    704 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thanks for going to all this trouble, jukebox. Fascinating stuff.

Understand the caution about the full address but I think if anyone is going to do any detective work on this - and let's hope one member or another will have a go - it might be useful to know the road, even if not the house number. Davis is a pretty common name.

Chris

chris minus the address is my fault because jukebox sent me a private message asking would it be better to omit it...not realising how old the letter was i advised yes but like you i now see no reason to leave it out so if jukebox has no objections maybe he could add it as we have done this before with various letters like this....i will leave it entirely up to jukebox to decide

lyn

May I ask a question - was it Gibbins Road ?? Princes Corner is Harborne. That is a guess as I am not sure it would count as Weoley Castle.

Last edited:
I've also tried to attach the copy of the original but it's too large. I'll try and reduce it and try again!

Second attempt - seems to work although it appears to need saving to the computer before opening. Let me know if you can open it OK.

Last edited:
Trying to find the address on e roll. First one I found is 1945 (attached). In 1950 Ernest, Elsie, Phillip R. 1955 is Elsie, Phillip R and Patricia R. On the address label it says "Davis P R" so does this mean he survived and returned to that address?
1547930662257.png

Last edited:
1939 register shows Ernest a barman, born 31 Dec 1892, Elsie born 23 Sept 1895 and one other closed record. Living at the same address.

Philip R Davis was born in 1926 birth registered at West Bromwich.
His parents were Ernest Roland and Elsie Edith (nee Brown) who married at St James Handsworth on 12 March 1925. Ernest's occupation was barman.

Should add that with mother's maiden name Brown and her married surname Davis it is hard to check for other children! However, as there only seems to be one on the 1939 register it is possible that Phil was an only child.

Auntie Hilda is likely to be Elsie's youngest sister - seen on 1901 and 1911 censuses. A witness at the marriage of Elsie and Ernest.

Last edited:
Back