• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WW2 German family in Hockley?

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
Hi, just wanted to ask if anyone on here remembers a German family that had a shop in Hockley who's son went back to Germany to fight in the Luftwaffe (I think thats how you spell it?) The German air force.
Only I remember my Nan telling me. The mother would fly a flag to let her son know she was ok....who true this is, I dont know that is why I'm asking?

Also my Nan told me that a member of Pat Roache's family took shelter in a doorway during an air raid, and after the bombs were dropt and the all clear, there was nothing left of him...also again, fact or fiction?

Hi All,

This is a belated reply but this story is not at all likely to be true. During the war all German nationals who had not returned to Germany were interned in the Isle of Man. This included a lot of Jews who wre, in fact, refugees from Nazi Germany.

Old Boy

There is a website that documents the regulations of the British Government regarding such citizens as German Nationals during WW2. The "Regulations" were issued and for the most part it seems that many people were sent to the Isle of Man and many were eventually let go as their cases were reviewed over time and as the threat of invasion diminished. It must have been very difficult for any German Nationals living in Britain at the time of WW2 if it was known about their citizenship. Many referred to themselves as Austrian it seems. We had an Austrian lady living near us and people liked to gossip that she was really a German citizen which she wasn't and had lived in England for many years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Regulation_18B

hi
I only know of one german family and he was a nice guy whom worked for the clews cycle and garage shop in ladywood
and he was a good mecanic with cars and bikes he lived in spring hill ;but as one said there was alot of good guys of germany
whom stayed and lived here i can say his name but i had better not he has a family of english born kids
they was a nice family we all played together when we was kids ;
astonian

The flag flying does have to me all the signs of an urban myth. At the very least a family of German origin doing anything which suggested signalling would have at best been regardesd with the deepest suspicion and at worst been the subject of some sort of official action. But I suppose you never know!

As jennyann says many German nationals, after the initial internment, went on to make significant contributions to British life and even the war effort. He was almost certainly not alone but one of whom I am aware even found himself in the Home Guard and manning an anti-aircraft (and therefore anti German Luftwaffe) battery in King's Heath. He was Alexander Schadowsky (later Sinclair and a school master). His story is online, here.

Chris

Back