• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Freeman of Moseley, Birmingham.

Murray73730

Hello to you all,

I'm searching for possible relatives connected with the name "Freeman".

It's regarding a WW2 crew member who was shot down in 1943 (all the five crew members died on impact)

His name was Albert Eric Barley Freeman.

His parents were William Cecil and Mabel Elizabeth Freeman, of Moseley, Birmingham.

They lived at 41 Cadbury Road, Moseley, Birmingham in 1943...

Is there any chance anyone might be related or know of him or his family?

This white heather possibly belonged to him. It was taken from one of the crew members jacket by a young German lad.
He looked after it for last 76 years. He would like to return it to his next of kin and asked for my assistance.

thanks for any help!

Jim

Attachments

• Heather.jpg
    Heather.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 12
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Three members of the FREEMAN family were still living at 41 Cadbury Road in 1965. One of those was William Henry Hoseph FREEMAN who was born in Birmingham in 1914 and died at 204 Monument Road on 7 August 1977, but I can't find a marriage for him as yet. He didn't leave a Will but Letters of Administration were granted for £4948. You could order up a copy of the Probate and see who the executors were from here:-

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Freeman&yearOfDeath=1977&page=7#calendar

That's a bit closer! Maybe....

Maurice

Last edited:
Hello to you all,

It's regarding a WW2 crew member who was shot down in 1943 (all the five crew members died on impact)

His parents were William Cecil and Mabel Elizabeth Freeman, of Moseley, Birmingham.

This white heather possibly belonged to him. It was taken from one of the crew members jacket by a young German lad.
He looked after it for last 76 years. He would like to return it to his next of kin and asked for my assistance.

thanks for any help!

Jim
Hello Jim and Maurice

I have only just seen your posts so please forgive the tardiness of this response.
I am a great granddaughter of William Cecil and Mabel Elizabeth Freeman of Moseley, Birmingham. I was born after the death of Uncle Eric - although christened as Albert Eric Barley Freeman - he was known as Eric. When I was very young I visited my great grandparents at 41 Cadbury Road in Moseley. For the first time I met Uncle Bill there - William Henry Joseph Freeman - and I know that he never married.
My father would be the next of kin to Uncle Eric being the son of Allan Valentine Freeman who was the older brother of Eric and Bill.
As a family we have always known of Uncle Eric and the fact that he was lost in the war. We knew of the pain of Great Grandma and her inability to accept that he was dead. He was reported missing initially so she hoped and prayed that he had survived and was somewhere in Germany - possibly having been captured and in a POW camp.
I know that my father's cousin, Gill Selby-Smith, the daughter of Marjorie Ann the sister of Eric, Bill and Allan spent some time trying to find out if there was indeed a grave in Germany - that Eric had a final resting place - and not just a name on the Runnymede Memorial.
Is it too late to be put in contact with the young German lad who found the bodies of the crew of the Wellington that was shot down over Monchengladbach? We would - as a family - like to know more about what happened to Uncle Eric.

Thank you

Dani

Hello to you all,

thanks for any help!

Jim
Hello Jim
I have only just seen your post so please forgive the tardiness of this response.
I am a great granddaughter of William Cecil and Mabel Elizabeth Freeman of Moseley, Birmingham. I was born after the death of Uncle Eric - although christened as Albert Eric Barley Freeman - he was known as Eric. When I was very young I visited my great grandparents at 41 Cadbury Road in Moseley. I met Uncle Bill there -

Back