• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 soldiers' information request

florence butler

master brummie
I don't know much about researching army records and wonder if anyone can help. The only info I have on my grandfather Harry Samman's WW1 army service is a copy of his demob form.

Regtl No S/363551. Rank a/cpl. Called up 15 Sep 1917 (aged 34). Medical category B2 (is that average?) Qualification baker.

What official information is available and how do I access it? Any help would be very much appreciated...Florence:)

Hi Florence,

I have checked on Ancestry:

Medal Index Cards - Not recorded. However, this is still an ongoing project for Ancestry.

Pension records - Not recorded. His record may have been destroyed in WWII bombing.

Service records - Not recorded. Again, Ancestry are yet to load all the records.

I would suggest reposting again in a few months to see if his record appears on Ancestry.

Doug

Hello Procat,:)

Thank you for taking the trouble to do a look up for me. Will follow your advice and post again at a later date. Kind regards....Florence

Hello Florence

Regarding the Medical category B2, the following is taken from info I found at the Imperial War Museum web-site:

"Grade III, generally equivalent to Categories B 2 and C 2, B 3 and C 3, included men who, from any cause, were not likely to be suitable for military training for combatant service and were fit only for clerical and other sedentary jobs. This Grade included those who presented marked physical deformities such as badly deformed toes or flat feet."

Looking at the Birmingham Electoral Role for 1912, Harry Samman is living at 139 Highgate Road, Sparkbrook. In the 1918 Absent Voters List, he is not listed, which would mean he must have voted.

His service number S/363551 belongs to men who served in the Army Service Corps. Having no Medal Index Card usually means he served in the UK and not in a theatre of War. The 'S' prefix on his service number belongs to the 'Supply Branch' of the ASC.
Hope this helps

Terry

Last edited:
Terry - thank you too. Lots of information there to ponder. I've printed your post off and will keep it in my Samman file for reference.
Kind regards, Florence:)

Back