• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Medals Roll Index Cards lookup please

NickAmeghino

proper brummie kid
Hello. :)
Please can someone do a lookup in the WW1 Medals Roll Index Cards for my g.gf. John Bernard REEVES. There is a military gravestone for him at St.Joseph's RC Church, Nechells. The headstone says:
WR/344011 SAPPER
J. B. REEVES
ROYAL ENGINEERS
10TH MARCH 1919

He died after the war had ended.

I have found an entry in the WW1 Medals Roll Index Cards for a John B. REEVES that served as a private in the Royal Sussex Regiment G/25770 but I don't think it is the same person because the regiments are different.

Another question - I know nothing about military graves so please can someone suggest why he would have a military grave marker, even though the war was finished when he died? Who would have arranged for a military grave marker to be erected?

Hope someone can help. :)

Thanks,

Nick The Duck

I cannot find any medal card /service/ pension records for J B Reeves on Ancestry, CWGC, National Roll of Great War or Birmingham Hall of Memory Roll, there is a death listed John B Reeves Birmingham Jan-Mar 1919 aged 32 Birmingham Vol 6d page 458, it would be worth getting a copy of this Death Cert. to see if this is the one.
St. Joseph's website https://www.stjosephs-nechells.co.uk/index.htm lists the grave, contact them they may know more.

Colin

1918 - 12 Guest Street, All Saints Ward - John Bernard Reeves, 344011, I.W. & D; RE
also listed at this address is Harold Russell - DM/2/155314, Pte
1919 - 12 Guest Street, John Bernard Reeves
and Harold Russell, DM/2/155314, Pte., 709 M.T. Co., A.S.C.
1920 - 12 Guest Street - Elizabeth Reeves & Henry William Lobb
1922 - 12 Guest Street - Elizabeth Reeves & William Wells

Suzanne

Hello Colin,
Thanks for your efforts and searches. I have the death certificate for my g.gf John Bernard Reeves. He died in the General Hospital in Birmingham of influenza and pneumonia.

There is a family story that because he died after he had left the army, there was no pension available for his widow. Sad.

I contacted Richard Scott at St.Joseph's Church website but he was unable to provide further information.

Kind regards,
Nick

Hello Suzanne,
Many thanks for looking up these details. Please could you tell me the type of record that these addresses were listed in.
Thanks,
Nick

Dear all,

Someone else was kind enough to look at the microfilm entry for John Bernard REEVES and found the following info. Can anyone translate this, please?

regiment inland water transport royal engineers it states that his date of enlistment was 1/ 4 / 18 date of discharge 2 / 12 /18 cause of discharge para 392 ( xv 1a ) k r s action taken list r e / 2936 .

Kind regards,
Nick

Hi Suzanne and Colin,
I forgot to say that my g.gf J B Reeves was resident at 12 Guest Street, Hockley, Birmingham when he died. This matches the address on the details looked up by Suzanne.
Good!
Thanks,
Nick

Thanks, Colin, that's helped a lot.

I guess J B Reeves would have had to have been very ill to be discharged?

Thanks for the link too.

Nick

1/ 4 / 18 date of discharge 2 / 12 /18 cause of discharge para 392 ( xv 1a ) k r s
I don't think these details refer to your J Reeves, they are the details on a pension record of a J Reeves, Royal Engineers, 344048, Boot Retailer with a next of kin in Balham London, discharged no longer fit with Varicose Veins.

Colin

Last edited:
Thanks, Suzanne, that's helped. It's great to know about new resources - I wasn't aware of that website. Thanks again. Nick

Back