• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Military hospitals in Birmingham WW1

Colin B Now you have got me there, I have all the hospitals listed (yet to post) but I suppose casualties were so great schools must have come in to service because at the first year of the War the wounded soldiers were sent all over England as my Wounded List Shows
Thanks for that, I suppose it is not there anymore is it?

One of the wards in Dudley Rd Infirmery which was a section of 1st Southern General Hospital

The wounded slowly start to be bought home by ambulance, here is one on its way to Bournebrook

Another Hospital that was housed in a private house was at the Hermitage Solihull which was built in 1869 and loaned to the Red Cross by the owner. Known as Vad 50 and opened up as a hospital in 1914

Cromwell,thats ok .Didn't want to post the link in case it spoilt a article you were going to cover.

Colin

Kenh The last book I got involved in we had to fork out our own money to get it printed and stood to loose £2000 but we broke even as we demanded a deposit from everyone before the book was printed
but its a hard thing to do.

Cromwell I'm sure you will be interested in the following.I worked at Uffculme Clinic in Moseley,during my time in the NHS,and following your posting on The War Hospitals of Birmingham 1914-18,I made contact with a colleague who still works there.He confirmed that this plaque was still displayed in the building ,and today I visited there and with permission was able to take photos of the plaque and the building.I was also introduced to a member of staff who has quite a large amount of information and pictures of the hospital,who is prepared to share this information with me ,watch this space.
In the second picture,I'm sure I have seen a old photo of the building with a number of patients sitting in wheelchairs,on top of the grass bank,I will see if I can locate one for comparison.

Colin

Colin Well done and Thanks a lot for that info. now you have taken a photo I will show you two postcards I have of Uffculme

As soon as I have scanned them

Here They Are
First one looks like nearly the same position as Posties

You will see that the conservatory has been replaced with a modern one .Your picture Postie is as I remembered it, and it leaked like a sieve,in the latter years.The building has been extensively refurbished,but as these picture shows it has still retained a lot of the old features,and is now a conference and training centre,with psychotherapy consulting services.
This building is now effectively closed to the general public,so I was lucky to still be able to access,(not what you know ,but who you know)

Colin

Great, Perhaps now I can identify a few photos of soldiers I have got in unidentified hospitals

Graham I have a few more photos ,but it was starting to get busy,and one of the conditions to taking the pictures was that there were no clients in them ,so I stopped.
The two buildings of Uffculme and Highbury Hall are very similar,I understand that Cadbury did not get on with Chamberlain,and the two building which are adjacent to each other,became a competition trying to outdo one other.
In my time I worked at or visited a large number of the hospitals in Birmingham,some of them gone forever now,so I may be able to help identify some of the pictures

Colin

Group photo of nurses outside The Hermitage Solihull
The Lady in the centre is the Commandant who ran the hospital

Colin if you know where the Birmingham Infirmary was I could put two photo's on of the operating room and verandah entrance 
I also have pics of the following Hospitals which I need to know if I am to post them were War Hospitals
Eastcote Grange
Middlefield Hall
Moseley Hall
Romsley Hill

Photo that I have never seen before of a Red Cross Flag outside a Military Hospital

Cromwell,I had to look a couple up
The Birmingham Infirmary is now the City Hospital or Dudley Road as was,see article by Peter Walker on the History Webring site.
Eastcote is at Hampton in Arden
Middlefield was in Knowle it was closed in 1992 and demolished,I went there a number of times.
Moseley Hall was were I was based for over 26 years,see my posting in Conflicts prior to WW1 -Birmingham Riots.
Romsley was over Clent way

Colin

Thanks Colin B now I can sort them out, I will post the two of the operating room when I have a chance

Back