• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WW1 component manufacturers

Bluesman

G’day Everyone, I am doing some personal research into the various factories in the UK, particularly those in Birmingham, that produced small arms components during the First World War.

The components that I am interested in are the .303 Charger clips and various Machine gun ammunition links. These components seem to be made primarily by pen & nib manufacturers such as British Pens Ltd. Ref pdf below.

I am especially interested in matching the stamp that appears on the clip or link with the manufacturer e.g B.P stamp is British Pens.

While most manufacturers can be matched to their stamp or logo there are quite a lot which are still a mystery. i.e. logo 1 below

Any information on these factories names, logos and productions information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

Attachments

• British Pens.pdf
    259.7 KB · Views: 4
  • B.P IV mod.JPG
    B.P IV mod.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • LOGO (1).jpg
    LOGO (1).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 8
.303 Enfield chargers - General Ammunition Collector Discussion .

Common makers
British Pens
John Mitchell
William Mitchell (Pens) Ltd
Myers & Sons Ltd
Bullpit & Sons Ltd
C. H. Pugh, also of Birmingham, which also used the letter "P

British Army rifle ammunition chargers, made by Birmingham pen makers.
�Before the start of the First World War Birmingham’s annual pen production was at a staggering 1.5 billion nibs however the war triggered a drop in both sales and employment.At the same time the British government was in urgent need of war materials and began contracting manufacturers of all trades to supply them.
Birmingham’s pen making machinery soon turned to stamping metal into vast quantities of ammunition chargers like this one, along with magazines and uniform buttons.William Mitchell Pen’s first order for chargers from the government was for 3 million of them by April 1915
William Mitchell - Graces Guide

Attachments

• pens charger.png
    pens charger.png
    777.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Pete
.303 Enfield chargers - General Ammunition Collector Discussion .

Pete, Thank you for the reply, what a staggering number 3 million and in a short time frame and that is just one manufacturer ! Did this info come from the Graces Guide?

I would have thought that there exists somewhere a list of the factories on government contracts and if such a list exists where would it be found? If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian.

Below is a list of the stamps/logos from unknown makers.
AS
AS in a box
B
g
H in a circle
H.C.
C.P.
o
View attachment 142473

Below is a list matching the stamp (makers mark) to the suggested maker however, these are not proven and need verification so again any help with this is appreciated.

B circleJ Birch & Sons
CCook & Co.
C.L.Cranes Screw & Castor Co.
FBaker & Finnemore Ltd
P.C.Parkinson & Cowan
TS Thomas & Sons
S.C.Steel Cielings
SSteleonite Metals Stamping
WRoyal Arsenal Woolwich
VH.T.Vaughn Ltd

In the world of charger/link clip collecting there a few listings floating around,

I have put together a list of charger clips with all the information I have gathered since I stared collecting about 8mths ago. The only thing new about my list is the way the information is presented the kudos belongs to those collectors who have preceded me.

If any one would like a copy of my charger clip list ( excel spreadsheet) just contact me and I will email you a copy.

Cheers, Ian

Back