• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WW1 casualty info by street

Here's a site that covers more than just WW1 - The War Graves Photographic Project at https://www.twgpp.org/

The aim of the owners of this site was to photograph all known war graves of all nationalities wherever they might be. You can search and get details for free, but if you want a good quality image then it will cost you £4 - that in my view is a bargain considering the immense amount of work that has gone into this project by many volunteers.

What they don't cover are the big memorials, which are being done by the Imperial War Museum. These are purely grave headstones and there are 1,894,231 photographs online as of today.

If you want to know the full story of this project, get the current issue (No. 182) of After The Battle magazine - that will cost you £5, but for those of you who like Then & Now pictures, it's an excellent quarterly magazine.

Maurice

Dave,

I see that they are still looking for volunteers in the more remote countries of the world, though perhaps I shouldn't refer to Northern Ireland as remote! :)

Maurice

Hi Everyone, I'm New to this Thread,

I'd like to Share the Story if its Ok of my Great-Grandparents "David Flynn" & Emily Flynn(Nee)Cooke
David was Born in 1875 in Birmingham, to Parents David Flynn Snr & Esther selina Warrod,
He was Baptised at St, Chads Cathedral in Hockley, B,ham, he came from a large family that endured the Great Irish Potato famine, his father, David Flynn Snr came here with his mother & siblings before 1860 & settled in B,ham,

My Great-Grandfather David flynn married my Great-Grandmother Emily Louisa Cook in 1902,
But Emily Cook was first married to David's elder Brother Edward Flynn in 1892 at St, Thomas Parish in Birmingham city centre,
Edward & Emily had two children together Lena(Cissie Flynn) & Edward Jnr Flynn, But On the 1901 Census Emily & Children were living at her parents Charles & Louisa Cooke home, But it stated Emily Flynn as Widowed and living at, 15 hunters Vale, In Aston Mannor,
Edward Flynn Snr died In 1898 aged 27yrs old,

We also believe Emily & David's marriage was Illegal as its was against the law in 1902 to marry your Brother's widow, they married in the Catholic Religion of which my great-grandmother Emily had to change too,

David Flynn Jnr first Joined the Warwickshire Reg & then the Duke of Cornwall's lite infantry in 1891 attestation in Bodmin, aged 19(Real age 16) On the 16th Aug 1891, nba 3343,
David was living with his brother Daniel Flynn & family in ladywood when he first joined up,
David flynn fought in the Bore War, Cape Colony, Africa & India, of which he gained medals, King & Queens medals with Claps, I just can't imagine the horrors of what he went through & how hard that must of been for all of those back then, Especially all those years in service,
David Joined up aged 16yrs of age, but told them he was 18yrs old, which many did back then,

David & Emily Flynn, lived on whitmore St, in hockley, where they had 5 children including my Grandfather David Flynn( three Generations of David Flynn's)

Amy Flynn(Children With Emily & Daivd Flynn) 2nd Brother
Mable Flynn
Ivy Flynn
David Flynn(Grandad)
Joseph Flynn,

Edward Flynn Jnr
Selina Flynn(Cissie Flynn)(Children with Emily & 1st Bother Edward Flynn)

David retired from Army service in 1903,
But Joined up again aged 42yrs old on Special Orders as a reserve in 1914 with the 1st Battalion Royal Monster Fusiliers,
and Ended up in Italy, But sadly on the 11th of February 1918 he died of Pneumonia,

My poor Great-Grandmother Emily left widowed again with 5 young children & Receiving that dreaded Document from the War office telling her that husband David had died, She & Children were living On Aston St, in Hockley in 1918
We still have the War document that was sent to my great-grandmother from the war office over 101yrs ago, Which ill add on here,
David Flynn was Buried in Arquata Scrivia Communal Cemetery Extension In Italy where he still lies in a commonwealth war grave,
I've added some documents,
David Flynn's in Communal War Grave in Italy,
A Post Card sent to elder daughter Amy Flynn from father David from Italy which i still have(101yrs old)
1911 Census on Whitmore St, Hockley where the family lived,
and a photo of Whitmore St, hockley
And a Picture Of Villa Street, Hockley, Where my Great-Grandparents & Grandfather & Siblings Lived
Also the Original War Document i still have that Informs my Great-Grandmother Emily that her Husband had died, Its 101yrs old

I feel incredibly proud of my great-grandparents, especially David Flynn for all that he endured & did for this country

Least We Forget

Attachments

• Flynn D.jpg
    Flynn D.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 19
  • post card amy.jpg
    post card amy.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1911 david & Emily.jpg
    1911 david & Emily.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • whit.jpg
    whit.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 20
  • War document for David flynn.jpg
    War document for David flynn.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 19
  • Villa St.jpg
    Villa St.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Type in a postcode and it will show info on people who died in the Great War.

www.astreetnearyou.org

Some of these;
Name, address, photo, age, date of death, partner, where born, etc

I did a search and don't think it's been put on before.
My apologies if it has

BiLL
Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting this link,
I wonder if you'd know why my Great-Grandfather Wouldn't be on there,
i have looked & put in all the correct info but can't seem to find him,
His name was David Flynn(Pte David Flynn, G/896 Royal monster fusiliers, died on 11th Feb 1918, Arquata Scrivia Communal Extension cemetery in Italy, the family lived on Aston St, Hockley B'ham, wife Emily Flynn,
When i looked on the link & put in Villa St, hockley, I found his Cousin Private James Flynn Rifle man,

Last edited:
My Grandfather served in the Boar War and later joined the Royal Marines in WW1 but died of his wounds in a German Military Hospital in 1917.
I contacted the War Graves Photographic Project with his details and for a fee of 10 pounds received a photograph of the cemetery and a second photograph of Grandfather William's grave.
For anyone with relatives buried in a Military cemetery abroad, I can fully recommend this excellent and reliable service.
Regards Mike.

hi lisa i had various rellies living in villa st from the 1850s right up until i left no 118 in 1972 ..got abot 7different addresses:rolleyes:....just read that your gt grandad lived at 2/60 which i class as the middle part of villa st which was between farm st and nursery road...i lived in the upper part of the st between nursery road and wills st...anyhow enough of me ...if you go to the villa street thread i have posted old photos of that section of the street before demo and i think there could be one photo showing the front of number 60 or certainly very close to it...use the search box top right of the main page and put in villa street

lyn

Last edited:
hi lisa i had various rellies living in villa st from the 1850s right up until i left no 118 in 1972 ..got abot 7different addresses:rolleyes:....just read that your gt grandad lived at 2/60 which i class as the middle part of villa st which was between farm st and nursery road...i lived in the upper part of the st between nursery road and wills st...anyhow enough of me ...if you go to the villa street thread i have posted old photos of that section of the street before demo and i think there could be one photo showing the front of number 60 or certainly very close to it...use the search box top right of the main page and put in villa street

lyn
Hi Lynn,
Thanks for your lovely message,
Have a lot of Relatives from the Hockley Area,
My Grandfather was also called David Flynn, after his father & Great-Grandfather,
the family lived on Whitmore St, Hockley on the 1911 Census & most likely moved to Villa St, in the 1920s,

My Granny Rose Flynn(Nee)Bill family lived on Unett St from the 1850s-1930s,
My 2nd Great-grandparents, David Flynn & Selina lived on Branston St, He was a Boot maker on Branston St, on the 1881 Kelly's Directory,
Was amazed when i did my fam ancestry 9yrs ago to find both side of my Grandparents & families ln Hockley,

Did you know at the Birmingham Museum they have a Replica St, Of Villa St, Hockley,

You never know Lyn, Our Ancestors may Of known each other,

ill Check Out the Villa St, Thread tomorrow Lyn

Thank you for letting me Know,

All the Best

Lisa x

hi lisa any problems get back to me...i found that researcing my family ancestry so interesting..i also had rellies in unett st in the 1800s...its a small world but in those days it was because familys very often lived in the same street or close by...wasnt the transport back then to move very far out and if they did it was a jolly long journey..ps knew nothing of the villa st replica i wonder why there is one..is it still there i must investigate this...thanks

lyn

hi lisa any problems get back to me...i found that researcing my family ancestry so interesting..i also had rellies in unett st in the 1800s...its a small world but in those days it was because familys very often lived in the same street or close by...wasnt the transport back then to move very far out and if they did it was a jolly long journey..ps knew nothing of the villa st replica i wonder why there is one..is it still there i must investigate this...thanks

lyn
Hi Lynn,

Yes what a Small world,
I'm pretty sure Our Rellies Would have Known each other,
Especially living On Unett St, & Villa St,
I have No Idea if the Villa St Replica is still there Lynn,
Me & my elder Sis Visited the Museum about 6yrs ago Now & it was there then, but the strange thing was i didn't knowmy Grandad & Great-Grandparents lived on Villa St at that time,

You Could Call the Museum & ask if its still on View, Just wish i had of known my Rellies lived on Villa St at that time, I would have taken a Photo,

My Grandparents Moved from Hockley, Unett St, & Villa St, to Weoley Castle in the 30s
There Parents Still lived there till the 50s i think,

ill Check the Photo Out on Villa St, thread

Thanks Lynn

Lisa x

Back