• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WW1 Casualties

GER22VAN

master brummie
It would be nice to see that someone could compile casualties lists from Birmingham Newspapers of the time  and posted to the web site in alphabetical order of surname.

Its allready been done Ernie but ya gotta pay for the info SDGW CD Rom. pump Birmingham in it and the lot comes out.

I am not sure if I am getting confused here. Soldiers Died In The Great War are in Volumes on the shelves of Birmingham Central Library ( or were .)
I am talking about Birmingham Newspaper REPORTS.

Ernie you stated Casualty lists from the Brum papers........
Its all on CD disc and you can sort the info...... as I have it
Now if you mean Wounded list you could not do it as the list were stopped on orders from the Government but some local list were allowed
What do you mean by reports as the news was censored and names changed

Newspapers that had PHOTOGRAPHS and Soldiers who Died also Probably some reports of wounded and it can been seen in ANY newspaper of the time. I can only assume that the Books of SOLDIERS WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR was Compiled by the C.W.G.C. just trying to CLARIFY the one from the other.
I think that this should make it much clearer to everyone..

Ernie thats as clear as mud, I have a lot of newspapers from the Great War and just copying one would take a few weeks unless it was done on a flatbed scanner etc
SDGW are not the CWWG
In the Brum Library most or nearly all the Great War newspapers are on Microfilm so it would be an impossible task to copy from the viewers as the quality is very bad
I could not see anyone doing the task I think you mean as It would be to time consuming and for everyman killed or wounded in 99% of the cases there is no photo so its all pot luck
I did one Battalion and it took me two years and had to give up on certain papers as the quality was to bad

The C.W.G.C. have suppied photographes at no cost to both my mother and myself.
C.W.G.C. stands for Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

This is not something that I'm knowledgable about but it seems to me that there could never be a complete list of casualties because of the "unknown soldier" problem.
That said, I happily bow to Graham's superior knowledge in all such matters

Jerry thanks for that and if I can help in any field of the Great War feel free to ask

:angel: Graham I'm with you on this one.
I have had complete strangers whom I've only contacted through the WW1 forums on the net, who have been only too willing to take photo's of graves for me.
It's often their way of honouring the fallen and their families for their sacrifices made.
So there is no need to pay anyone for this service, just shop around the WW1 forums and if their going to the right place someone will do it out of good will and not charge.

(I have made donations to the none profit making sites of the WW1 forums as a thank you).

Could I please ask - forums are available where requests for information are available... could a forum be set up where we could ask anyone going over to the graves if they could take a picture?

I have 2 people - not directly descended - who died in WWI - one is listed on the Ypres monument and one is buried at Ribecourt. As an ex-serviceman myself I am interested to find out more about these particular individuals and would love to see their memorials.

As you have already stated some of you go over to visit graves but as there are so many spread across a wide area I'm sure that you cannot meet everyones requests - I thought it might be an idea to have a forum with threads for each cemetery.

I would happily set up extra forums for what you ask Boaman, but I suspect it's already done by those forums that focus purely on the wars. Still if any of you feel it's worthwhile we can give it a go. What does everyone else think?

If we had one thread that people posted requests for a photo of a grave etc. then if anyone was going over they could take a snap and e-mail in to them

Back