• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wright

What is it you want to find out? Do you already have some info? Is there a date? Sorry for all the questions but the more you tell us the easier it is for someone to help.

Thank you. They were my grandparents but I know little about them. I know Fred was a coal merchant and I believe they lived at Elm Grove Sydenham Rd and had four children. I hope to find some info on them and where they came from, when I visit England later this year. Does anyone have suggestions where I might begin? Many thanks

Learn as much as you can before you come. Houses, roads might not exist anymore if that's what you want to see.

On the 1939 register there appears to be a Frederick and a Nellie Wight, both born 1892, as well as a Stanley born 1925 living in Elm Grove.

There's a birth for a Stanley F J Wright registered Mar qtr 1925 Birmingham South, mmn Hall and there's a marriage listed for a Frederick Wright and an Ellen Hall, 16 Feb 1919 Sparkbrook, Birmingham. Father's names are listed as Stanley & Charles.

The marriage was at Christ Church Sparkbrook but the church is no longer there. It was damaged in WW2 and then hit by a freak tornado in 2005 after which it was demolished. Witnesses were Albert Hall and Susan Wright.

They were at 18 Elm Grove in 1920

Are the father's occupations listed as painter/decorator & motor trade on the marriage?

Last edited:
The Wright family are being quite tricky to pin down but interesting.

However, I think Frederick Wright was born in Burton on Trent or more likely somewhere in Derbyshire near by. His birth was registered Mar qtr 1891 Burton on Trent. In 1891 his birthplace is Derbyshire, in 1901 it's Burton on Trent, Derbyshire and in 1911 it's Burton on Trent, Staffordshire. He was one of at least 11 including a sister, Susanna Jane (likely witness above).

He seems to be the son of Stanley Wright and Mary Anne Harper. Stanley marries Mary 15 Apr 1883. Then he is listed as John Stanley though his birth was registered as Stanley Reynolds Wright Jun qtr 1861 Leiwsham. Stanley's birthplace is listed a Plumsted in 1871 & 1901, Woolwich in 1881 and Warwickshire in 1891. He dies between 1901 and 1911. He is a house painter. Mary's birthplace is listed as Dudley. In 1901 the family are living in Highbury Road, Kings Norton (Kings Heath now?).

Stanley's father appears to be a John Wright and his mother's surname is Brown but she is dead by 1871 so not sure who she was. John possibly has a middle name but only the initial is listed, c or g. John re-marries before 1881. John's birthplace is listed as Kidderminster but his dob varies. He is listed as a photographer in 1871 & 1891 and a house decorator in 1881. Apart from Stanley, he had a daughter Mary Agnes and a son George with his first wife.

Last edited:
Best guess for Nellie is an Ellen Hall born 1892 in Sparkbrook, the daughter of a Charles and Ellen Hall. She has a number of siblings including a brother Albert. In 1901 she is living in Solihull Road and in 1911 in Bordesley.

Charles' occupation is listed as Coffin Furniture Maker in 1891, Brass Founder Gun Viewer in 1901 and Viewer Motor Worker in 1911.

If the above Ellen is the right one then Ellen's mother Ellen is interesting. She is listed as Feek on the marriage but York/Yorke on the censuses prior to her marriage as is the mother's name on the children's births. Her father appears to be John Aldous Feek who then becomes York.

Thank you all for the wonderful information. I will be coming to Birmingham this coming year so look forward to continuing the search. Any tips as to.where to look. Thank you again to all of you who answered and h
Found the information.

Back