• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wright, Jeweller - Diamond Mounter From 1891

samw1984

proper brummie kid
Hi All

My great great grandfather was a Diamond mounter and he lived Aston Manor, Warwickshire and Handsworth, STAFFORDSHIRE.

Anyone know how i would find out which jewellers he worked for?

Thanks in advance
Sam

I have just found out that it was his own business which he ran with his son Frank Wright and his Son-in-law Claude Adams.

Is there is list of jewelery shops in the Birmingham Jewelery Quarter?

Thanks in advance.
Sam

Hi Sam
There was a firm of diamond mounters ,Wright & Perry, at 68 Vittoria St from 1899-1908
1908 , taking over from Alfred Cox, jeweller, who was there in 1896. From 1912 - 1933 they were at 66 & 68 Vittoria St. From 1936-1973 they were still at 66 & 68, but described themselves as manufacturing jewellers. Kellys stopped at 1973, Couldn’t see any Adams who were diamond mounters. All this information is from kellys
mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike
Do you have a link for this I could take a look at? Was that the only Wright mentioned?

Not sure who the Perry is. But in the letter I got from my Great Aunt it said Claude Adams dealed with the business side of things so his name may not be mentioned if he only looked after the paperwork for example. What do you think?

Thanks again Mike and lookforward to hearing from you.
Sam

hi Sam
That was the only Wright who started as a diamond mounter. You may be correct with your comment about Adams. I would have thought a business such as this would want to be in kellys.I did also check that there wern't any firms who were diamond mounters like XXX & Wright, but there weren't. So, unless they were trading under a completely different name, i would think this would be them.
the info came from CDs of the directories that I have. There are some available online at the historical directories site https://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/ and a few are on Ancestry if you have a subscription
mike

Last edited:
Back