• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wright Barrowboy

T

tor6869

Hello all, its me again.

I was wondering if any one could help me with a bit of family research. I'm looking for my uncle. His name was Alfred Wright and he was a barrowboy in the Bullring markets. From what we have found out he did this for many years, selling fruit and veg. His brother, my Grandad George Wright helped out alot and was always with Alfred, we also know that Alfred married and had two daughters. Unfortunately the family lost touch and nobody knows what became of Alfred.
We do know that he was very well known in the markets, and had a nick name which although would have been very innocent at the time, we feel political correctness would not allow us to type.
We have no dates for Alfred but we believe he was older than my Grandad, who was himself was born in 1910.
I would be so grateful if anyone has got any information that they could pass on to me, no matter how trivial they think it is.
Many thanks
Tracey :)

Do you know any other family names as there was only one Alfred Wright that came up for me betwwen 1900 1nd 1910. The middle name could be his mother's family name.
Births Jun 1906
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Wright..Alfred Carter.. Birmingham .6d..173
Births Jun 1910
WRIGHT.. George......Birmingham .6d..107

Information from the birth cert's (Father's name & Mother's name and maiden name) could help track who he married and when. From there you could find out his children's names and who they married.

Hope this helps a little...

Pom :angel:

alfred wright

hi im traceys sister and we think that our ggrandparents may have been living at the number 12 sycamore :)when alfred was born our ggrandmothers maiden name was howell

Thanks for your help Pom,
Here is a list of the people we believe to be his brothers and sisters,

George Robert.....Died in infancy
Robert Joseph
Elsie May
George Alfred......Died In Infancy
William Henry
Harold
George

We've started this search for Alfred because my mother and her sister, were always told that Alfred was an older brother of their Dad, and in fact were always visiting him as children.
:)

Would this be the marriage of Alfreds parents then ?
Marriages Dec 1889
Howell Selina Birmingham 6d179
Wright Robert Birmingham 6d179

Because there are a lot more birth's...
Births Jun 1891
Wright Alfred Moses Birmingham 6d46
Births Dec 1891
Wright Alfred Henry Birmingham 6d27

Births Mar 1894
Wright Alfred Edward Birmingham 6d155

Births Dec 1894
Wright Alfred Birmingham 6d156

Births Sep 1896
Wright Alfred Birmingham 6d45
Births Jun 1897
Wright Alfred William Birmingham 6d69
Births Dec 1901
WRIGHT Alfred Henry Birmingham 6d1

Births Jun 1906
Wright Alfred Carter Birmingham .6d..173

Sorry I couldn't find either Richard or Selina on 1891 Cen's, however I did find another Alfred Wright /Carter link.
1891 Census
Civil Parish: Aston Ecclesiastical Parish: St. Andrew
Folio: 22 Page: 37 Schedule: 221
Address: 13 Kingston Rd

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
CARTER William J Head M M 42 Time Keeper(Em'ee) Gloucestershire - Ashchurch
CARTER Esther S Wife M F 43 Shropshire - Bridgenorth
CARTER Elizabeth A Dau S F 16 Brass Tube Wrapper(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
WRIGHT Alfred Visitr S M 1 Warwickshire - Birmingham

Not sure if any of this info' helps, but one never knows...

Pom :angel:

The 1891 census which you have already posted on another topic ties in with the info. given by Chris.

Robert and Selina Wright are at The President Lincoln in Longmore street.

Thanks all,
your help and information is very much appreciated :)
Tracey

Back