• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wrensons

Lyn, not only was there a danger with the meat slicer the bacon sides had to be boned using very sharp knives!!! I spent a couple of months with Wrenson, a fill in job until the one I was interested arose. At the tender age of sixteen I was not allowed to be involved in the bacon preparation process, but someone who worked there did manage to cut himself - not sure how badly, but it did mean a hospital trip. Interestingly the next time I met him, two or three months later, he was conductor on the BCT so he did not stay with Wrenson very long either. It was an enjoyable place to work but sadly for Wrenson my mind was focused on science.
Those were the days, in the early 1950's when those who found there was more week than money and could ask for smaller quantities of things as most things were measured by weight then. It was also useful for those living alone who did not want large quantities particularly as most folk, at that time, did not have refrigerators - let alone even heard of a freezer.
Wrappings, what little there was, were mostly recycled, one way or another. Cartons could light fires, sugar bags were used at schools making small objects, paper bags were re-used to hold things that were needed in future but had to be kept in something that could be written upon, thus announcing the contents. There was not the waste of this century and the last trimestre of the 20th.

Last edited:
Hi
I loved the aroma that permeated the air in Wrensons. Masons had the same aroma too. I used go with my Nan to the shop on Kings Road / Finchley Road Kingstanding. Sugar would be weighed and put into a dark blue paper bag.
Such happy memories of being with my Nan, she was so lovely!
Regards
Linda

Mr Tomelty was the manager of our local branch of Wrensons on Broad St , those lovely smells of coffee , cold meats , the zipwire for the change . Mr Tomelty's day to day wear was a grey cow gown with a black and white vertical striped apron , those indeed were the days when the boss got hands on as well as his staff . Plus the fact he was a devout Roman Catholic

Lyn, not only was there a danger with the meat slicer the bacon sides had to be boned using very sharp knives!!! I spent a couple of months with Wrenson, a fill in job until the one I was interested arose. At the tender age of sixteen I was not allowed to be involved in the bacon preparation process, but someone who worked there did manage to cut himself - not sure how badly, but it did mean a hospital trip. Interestingly the next time I met him, two or three months later, he was conductor on the BCT so he did not stay with Wrenson very long either. It was an enjoyable place to work but sadly for Wrenson my mind was focused on science.
Those were the days, in the early 1950's when those who found there was more week than money and could ask for smaller quantities of things as most things were measured by weight then. It was also useful for those living alone who did not want large quantities particularly as most folk, at that time, did not have refrigerators - let alone even heard of a freezer.
Wrappings, what little there was, were mostly recycled, one way or another. Cartons could light fires, sugar bags were used at schools making small objects, paper bags were re-used to hold things that were needed in future but had to be kept in something that could be written upon, thus announcing the contents. There was not the waste of this century and the last trimestre of the 20th.
Hi
Re; the chap that cut himself has, reminded me of something my Nan once said. They’re not a good butcher unless they’ve lost a finger! Ha ha. Not sure if that’s true or not but George the butcher on Hartley Road Kingstanding had lost one of his fingers!
Thanks for prompting my memory.
Regards
Linda

Just looked on Google street view, this is it now ( if i am correct )View attachment 127918
That corner shop (168 Gravelly Lane) was Tower Cycles when I got my Raleigh Blue Streak there on my 16th birthday in 1964. On Facebook ('Erdington Massives' page) I have this weekend been enquiring about No 181 opposite, on the corner of Oliver Road by the (now gone) phonebox, which is now a pizza shop but in the 1950s was Mr Conde's grocery shop. I would be interested in any images of it from that time (1950s into early 1960s). I recall he had a large woodframed estate car (or 'station wagon' or 'shooting brake') and I am interested to know what model that was. He kept it in a garage behind the shop (accessed via a rear driveway off Oliver Rd). Another local resident around the corner in Dean Road (Mr Tewson) apparently had a similar 'woodie' (a green one), though I don't recall seeing that despite living opposite!.

I worked for Wrensons Delivering groceries from their shops all over Erdington and Sutton, Solihull and Steelhouse lane shop, They had 3 shops in Erdington at one time, I covered all 3, this was around 1955/56

In1964-5 I worked for Warriner & Mason's in Smethwick and delivered grocery to all of the Wrensons shops.The worst one was the shop on the Stratford Rd at Shirley.You had to stop all the traffic to back into the yard to unload.

I have a Ration Book 1952-1953 it belonged to a Mr Robson of South Yardley that shopped at Wrensons,157,Church Road,Yardley. Anyone remember this family?

Another firm, i think it might have been Fine Fare, gave Pink stamps (I think they were S & H pink stamps, whatever that stood for)
Mike
Hi...its an old post, but here goes:
S&H today

Sperry and Hutchison no longer has redemption centers but the company does offer online redemptions. The company is now called S&H Greenpoints and its website www.greenpoints.com launched in 2000.

If you found a few books of stamps in the back of a drawer, they can be redeemed for gift cards from the S&H Online Rewards catalog.

Further: www.al.com/living/2016/04/whatever_happened_to_sh_green.html

I remember Wrensons on Broad St , manager Mr Tumelty a true gentleman . He was at church St Peters off Broad St every Sunday . I too remember the smells of the coffee , cheese etc , I also remember the zip wire carrying money in containers across the shop ceiling height . What days they were , the best thing though is we can remember these gems and record them. What character is in the shops nowadays absolutely nothing I'm glad I was born when I was, we have supposedly progressed from the backwoods to the present , for what they don't even grunt an acknowledgement at you nowadays .
When I started work as an apprentice pattern maker in 1961 I used to fetch the errands for my fellow workers and the factory was a couple of doors away from Wrensons in Broad Street, I remember going in the shop every day to buy the men's lunch, I used to buy butter which was sold loose and weighed by the ounce, the girls serving me used to call me smiler as I was very shy and when they spoke to me I used to just smile.

Hi Derek,

I remember Wrensons in Lea Village (or Kitts green), I used to go in with my mom or my nan, my mom went to school with the manager and so he used to let her eat ...wait for it.... RAW sausages !! Even now God love her she still is partial to the odd raw sausage, We had a dog called Bob and he was regularly chased out of Wrensons for trying to pinch the bacon etc. Oh happy days eh!

:p:);)
Yes I remember Wrenson’s in Lea Village. Mr Scott was the Manager around 1949/ 50. A time of Ration Books and endless queuing while goods were weighed out ...

When I was at Dartmouth Street Annexe School I went shopping for the Domestic Science teacher to Barrows. If we had visitors to the school, they were well looked after food wise. I am sure I had to walk all the way to Corporation Street.
I worked in Barrows for a short time in the 50 s. Serving groceries and adding up each item ( in my head ). No calculators. A ver personal service of fine products

We had a Wrenson's on Hawthorn Road, run in the late 40s and early 50s by a Mr and Mrs Shepherd. The closest rival was an independent, Mr and Mrs Knight (I think), and there was a bigger rival at the Kingstanding Road end in George Mason's. For some reason, my mum always preferred to use Wrenson's rather than the cheaper Co-op branch No 101 opposite Knight's. I think it was because they hinted that they would look after us better in the days of rationing and shortages. I suspect a lot of false promises were made like that. Remember Mr Jones the butcher in "Dad's Army?"
Peter
my husband came from alcester , and he worked for a egg packing company called smith and baker , there biggest customer was wrensons he said they serviced all the shops with eggs i belive wrensons trade brand was sunspot

There is a good item about Wrenson's
in Carl Chinn's book on "Brum & Brummies" #1
plus two good photo's Wrenson's had 120
shops in all
120 shops my husband worked for the egg company who supplied wrensons there biggest customer 6 lorries per day left there depot to supply the shops

We lived in Holly Lane Erdington, and our nearest Wrensons was on the village green. I remember one of the high points of my childhood Christmas was hiring a soda syphon from there!

After school on Thursdays and Fridays and all day Saturday I would cycle up the Soho Road to the junction with island road to Wrensons where I was a proper del boy! Boxes piled so high in the basket it was safer to push it! I remember a Saturday in the winter of 60/61 started to snow quite heavy and the gaffer said just take Mrs so and so, s and then go home. Well she lived on a bend down a hill it was too bad to use my brakes so I thought I could slam it into a bank of snow, unfortunately this covered her wall so although the bike the load and I didn't! As I lay spreadeagled in her front garden surrounded by smashed eggs bacon and flour she opened her door and said 'yow can tek that lot back lad and bring some fresh' talk about sympathy!

Back