• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • On Sunday I will be upgrading the software to the latest version this will mean downtime of approx half a day. (assuming all goes well) This has to be done as we are out of mainstream support now.

Wrensons

Big Gee

master brummie
I remember those prices too, but I also remember that in 1969 I was earning the munificent sum of eighteen quid a week working at Triplex Safety Glass in Kings Norton!

Big Gee

paul stacey

master brummie
Now there's a name I hav't heard in a long, long, time " Blue Band Marg", in saying that the price as apposed to desposible income is much more than to-day even though the items are 10 times the cost to then.
paul

chrishillcox

proper brummie kid
Re: Wrenson's

Peter,
This is a really interesting account. I am currently recording oral histories from Kingstanding and wonder if I could record your memories of Wrenson's. Kind Regards Chris HIllcox

www.kingstanding.wordpress.com

We had a Wrenson's on Hawthorn Road, run in the late 40s and early 50s by a Mr and Mrs Shepherd. The closest rival was an independent, Mr and Mrs Knight (I think), and there was a bigger rival at the Kingstanding Road end in George Mason's. For some reason, my mum always preferred to use Wrenson's rather than the cheaper Co-op branch No 101 opposite Knight's. I think it was because they hinted that they would look after us better in the days of rationing and shortages. I suspect a lot of false promises were made like that. Remember Mr Jones the butcher in "Dad's Army?"
Peter

Derek Hudson

proper brummie kid
Re: Wrensons, High St. Erdington

Hello Eggo
I have a [photo of Wrensons on the Green (Sutton End) with a group staff outside all in white coats. Mr. Ernes ...ard Palmer's name is above the door as licensee. My aunt is on this photo.

Fentham
My name is Derek Hudson, I worked at this branch of Wrensons with Mr Palmer during the 60s, I would love a photo, and indeed to talk about those days.

Best wishes

Derek

Derek Hudson

proper brummie kid
I bought an old Wrensons bike a few years ago and I have since had it restored. It has the original basket with 'W' painted on it and the original signage plate in it's original paint (light blue on white/cream)...it's a real jem. However, it was painted a purpely blue colour when I bought it and that's the colour it's been restored in but I can't help thinking...should it have been black? Does anyone know what colour Wrensons bikes were? I bought it in the black country somewhere, maybe Brierley Hill, but have no idea what area it originally came from.
WRENSONS CARRIER BIKES WERE BLUE, BOTH VARIETIES.

Derek Hudson

Derek Hudson

proper brummie kid
Hi Derek,

I remember Wrensons in Lea Village (or Kitts green), I used to go in with my mom or my nan, my mom went to school with the manager and so he used to let her eat ...wait for it.... RAW sausages !! Even now God love her she still is partial to the odd raw sausage, We had a dog called Bob and he was regularly chased out of Wrensons for trying to pinch the bacon etc. Oh happy days eh!

What was the managers name who gave her the raw sausages?????? :p:);)
Derek Hudson ex cooks lane tile cross

paul stacey

master brummie
I cannot speak about any other shops in the Wrensons chain but I worked at the Bristol Road Northfield branch and made delivered on a black bike, small front wheel, large basket with a stand at the front, and a black plate on the cross bar in black with Wrensons in white lettering, this was in 1962.
paul

Derek Hudson

proper brummie kid
Hello, would this be Colin Scott???? the manager from the Glebe Farm Wrensons about 1959.

Please reply Colin if it is, I would love to hear from you.

Derek Hudson

Ian Leggett

master brummie
Hi Derek, Good to see your more recent comments. I have not been on the forum for a while as have little left to say. As we plan our Diamond Jubilee Event we are looking back at prices around 1952/3 and cannot believe the comparison with todays prices. However as has been said the wages were also so low. When I started at Wrensons in 1958 I earned £3.5s.0p. (That is £3.25p in todays money) for a 40 hour week. Even as a manager in 1965 I only earned £15 per week for a 40 hour week (although I worked several hours extra for no pay to keep the wage bill down.)
Best Wishes Ian Leggett.

Derek Hudson

proper brummie kid
Hello young Ian,
Very nice to hear from you, just back from the winter spent in the Canaries, SUPER WEATHER.

Yes I was earning £4.10.6 in 1958 and £15.00 a week as a manager at the Radleys, the hours were long because you enjoyed it.

I remember Danish Tub was 2 shillings and ten pence a pound about 15p per lb. and Blueband two and six a lb at that time New Zealand cheese was two and ten pence a lb

You could buy a dozen small eggs for one and six.

Do you remember Colin Scott???

Best wishes Ian to you and your family.

Derek

Ian Leggett

master brummie
Hi Derek, Winter in Canaries? You missed our lovely snowy and sunny winter (variety is the spice of life you know).
I vagualy remember Colin Scott. I am trying to remember who had the branch on Coventry Road Sheldon. He was the father of my wifes sister in law. I did not have much to do with the other managers only seeing them at managers meetings. A group of us did play TenPin Bowls at Sutton Coldfield for a while. Regards Ian.

Austin K2

master brummie
Just found this thread, and very interesting it is.
eggo's (#10) mention of Wrensons at Stockland Green reminded me that my sister Dolly worked there for a while.
While there she nearly took her hand off with the bacon slicer. could have sued nowadays.

Ian Leggett

master brummie
Hi Austin K2, Yes I remember those lorries also.
I think I may have mentioned the cutting oif fingers in my long article on working at Wrensons. Look back to 2010.
I had numerous near misses and actual cuts while cleaning these revolving blades while holding a muslin cloth in one hand pressed against the blade while turning the handle with the other (No electric cutters yet). It was just doing the job. If you cut yourself you just got a plaster and covered it up and got back to work, no big deal.
Regards Ian.

Fentham

master brummie
Re: Wrensons, High St. Erdington

Derek,
I will happily send you a photo of Wrensons in Erdington. The photo included my Olwen Griffiths. I think she was probably called Griff.
I would need your home address. Do not know how to put the photo onto the Forum.
Fentham
email: [email protected]