• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wrensons

I remember Wrensons on Weoley Castle Square. Im 68 years old now & reading your post made me remember my childhood I used to go to Wrensons with basket for my Mom when I was 9/10 years old. I do remember friendly people working in the shop I also delivered for them on Saturdays & some school holiday days
My mum, Irene, worked at Wrenson's on Weoley Castle Square in the 1950s, so probably served you. She loved working there, the manager was George Crump. Mum used to live with Dad in Oxley Grove, then Gregory Avenue. Wish I could find a photo of Wrenson's on the Square.

Hi Dibbs
just like maggie said thanks for that cracking picture
i to remember that shop and brought me memories flooding back especialy when i was a nipper
there was a lady whom lived in new spring street
just up the rd she stopped me one day and called me to her door
and said do you want to earn yourself half a crown son ;;
she was popping her head around the door in her dressing gown
and she said take this note down to wrensons and give it to the man
when you come back bring it around the back door
so i ran down the rd to wrensons as fast as my little legs
would take me
on the note was a pound of butter which in them days they cut and pattered it into block and a bottle of sherry
i ran back with it and around the back door i went
as i went through the back gate she was sitting in the
out side toilet awaiting for her bottle of sherry
she had the half crown in her hand ready to give to me
she shouted here you son ; and reach behind from the door
and said do not tell my daughter will you ;
i of cause said no ; good she replied
will you come back next saturday morning the same time
i was so chuffed i said oh yes ; and i was gleaming with joy
at the thought i hadgot a shining half crown to myself
i ran home and told mom how i had got it
and i told mom; i am to go back next week she said okay
i went back ext week the same run back to wrensons ,
she was waiting in the loo again ; but this time she asked before i go would i nipp along to the coal wharf in clissold st
which is the top of new spring st and get the big hand cart
with coal; well by the time i got back to her house i tried pulling it the pavement but i went flying and twisted my arm around the hops that was onthe hand cart ;the coal fell out and i had to go to dudley rd hospital with a brokn arm
i got five bob of the lady [ two half crown ]
mother came to the hospital to me and asked what had happend
i told her i had to fetch coal for this lady ; she said never again
you will never fetch errands for that lady
thanks for the memory dibbs ; best wishes astonian;;;
I know the area you are talking about, I lived in Coralie St. I did similar jobs for neighbours. The coal was hard job for a young lad, always enjoyed having a few shillings in my pocket.
Where did you live?

Nick Phillips

I worked at wrensons on Broad Street Five ways .we were the posh one that served the Judges and the other wrensons further down was more for us general people.
You could buy slipper cut bacon .cracked eggs and broken biscuits at that one .Kunsles were next door to us and they sold posh cakes and chocolates.
I remember we only had half day Wednesday and all day Sunday and I had to take my wages home and give it to my mother unopened. Happy Days x

I remember Wrensons very well - I used to take the grocery list in on my way to school and they delivered it. I remember the loose tea in sacks and currants and raisons also in blue sacks - the bacon slicing machine and the patting of butter into shapes and a tin of salmon only red of course (my mum) at Christmas - of course that was after the war when things came back into the shops - I ca n almost smell that special smell of Wrensons.
Sheri
Yes I remember Wrensons grocery store I used to have to take my mums order book a black book with a slightly sunken window on the cover that displayed the name and address also remember John Favours grocery store on the corner of Ravenhurst Road and the High st opposite corner was the Dower chest emporium old used furniture and bric-à-brac I did paper rounds at many of the newsagents Doolans, Thurlows, and Hills great memories of growing up in Harborne we lived in Wentworth Road

Yes I remember Wrensons grocery store I used to have to take my mums order book a black book with a slightly sunken window on the cover that displayed the name and address also remember John Favours grocery store on the corner of Ravenhurst Road and the High st opposite corner was the Dower chest emporium old used furniture and bric-à-brac I did paper rounds at many of the newsagents Doolans, Thurlows, and Hills great memories of growing up in Harborne we lived in Wentworth Road
We also had a Wrensons on Hingeston Street (Brookfields) going into the city it was on the left hand side of the road close to Ellen St.

The area had many food shops, when I was a child I did sometimes go into the shop, but already said that the area had many shops.

Nick Phillips :)

Wrensons had a branch in Bearwood, Smethwick in the 1960s. Ham cut off the bone, bacon sliced on number 6 and New Zealand cheddar and butter. There was a bigger branch in Dudley Rd and at Cape Hill. Mom usually shopped at an independent, Mr Parr on Bearwood Road. He knew that she had worked in wholesale grocery and was a good customer. But Wrensons was quality too.

Back