• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wragg

sandra

master brummie
Hi Everyone,
I need help please.
Still cannot find JOB WRAGG B1837 in the 1861 census
I have found him in the 1841,1851,1871,1881,1891,1901,1911.

In 1856 he married ELEANOR HICKLING JOHNSON.
In 1861 they had a child PRISCILLA.

I know I asked this question in about 2008 but i have been looking all this time. Still cannot find.

I was wondering if they were in a hospital having Priscilla would they still fill out a census form.

I cannot think of anything else.

I know someone on here will know,

Sandra

bewdley

master brummie
Hi Sandra

No luck yet, but Priscilla's birth was registered in September quarter 1860 so very unlikely that she would still be in hospital at the time of the census

bewdley

senoraruz

master brummie
Hi Sandra.
Have you any idea where they may have been living, because like you I have a family missing from the 1861 census, even though I have them before & after.
I think part of the 1861 is missing.

Shera

true brummie
hi sandra, i cant help with the 1861 census but did you know they had a child george who was baptised 1 mar 1858 at st. martins.

parents job and eleanor wragg. abode - springfield. occ. police constable.

bewdley

master brummie
It would help if you got hold of the birth certificate for Priscilla it will/should have an address on it (I have found her registered Aston Sept quarter 1860 6d 223) which will be a starting point.

You can do an address search on Find my past. If you don't have a subscription myself or one of the other members will look it up for you.

This is how I found my missing ancestors. I ordered a birth certificate for a child who was born after the census in 1861 and the family were living at the address given on the birth certificate at the time of the census (with an incorrect surname written on census) don't know if they were having a laugh - at my expense - or a genuine mistake, but Riley and Eccles don't have any similarity to me so it's anyone's guess. I never would have found them if not for the birth certificate.

I will keep looking too - good luck bewdley

Last edited:

Shera

true brummie
ahhhh ive found them in 1861 living kingston rd. aston.

i wondered why priscilla wasnt baptised at st. martins as their other children seem to have been, so looked under ragg , and there was the baptism.

priscilla daughter of job and eleanor w/ragg . kingston rd. police constable. baptised on july 1st 1861.

so looked at kingston rd and on ancestry they are transcribed as joseph braff, helena braff, george bragg 3 and priscilla bragg 8 .

bewdley

master brummie
Brilliant detective work Shera - well done

on FMP they are down as Brass here is the transcription

1861 Census transcription details for: 2, Kingston Road, Aston, Birmingham
National Archive Reference:
RG number
RG09
Piece:
Folio:
Page:
Reg. District:
Aston
Sub District:
1 Deritend
Parish:
Aston
Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District:
St Andrews
City/Municipal Borough:
Birmingham
Address:
2, Kingston Road, Aston, Birmingham
County:
Warwickshire

Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Occupation , Disability
Where Born
BRASS, Joseph
Head
Married
M
Policeman
Birmingham, Warwickshire
BRASS, Helena
Wife
Married
F
Birmingham, Warwickshire
BRASS, George
Son
M
Birmingham, Warwickshire
BRASS, Priscilla
Daughter
F
Birmingham, Warwickshire

Last edited:

Shera

true brummie
thankyou bewdley. isnt it lovely when you discover them. i had the benefit of the st. martins records so that solved the puzzle!

sandra

master brummie
Hi Shera and Bewdley,
Thank you both so much for taking the time to look up this for me, and amazingly finding them. I would never have found them, but I knew there were experts on this website that could help.
We have recently made contact with more of the WRAGG family and swapped info, but they too couldn't find him either they will be pleased.I will be passing the info on.
Thanks once again.
Sandra