• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wounded soldier entertainment in Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
As part of the recuperation process soldiers wounded in the War were entertained at convalescent homes/hospitals. Although some wounds could be healed, the psychological toll was enormous, carrying the memory of horrific experiences which would stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Viv.
23DFC5BF-5CCE-4254-8483-5047F48E5E15.jpegD5F0940E-7E3A-4C99-8E0A-9CA004472C0A.jpeg2A3D5486-4694-431D-A79F-0FD771045F54.jpeg
27AB7554-6F62-482A-89BF-393BCBEC237B.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
thanks viv....i have always had the utmost admiration for our heros in both wars but ww1 was so awful..some of those that survived refused to talk about what they had gone through and seen for the rest of their lives...many sending their medals back or binning them...and of course there was no mental health back up like we see today...total respect

lyn

I’d hardly describe this as a “happy group”. After 3 years of war, being wounded and with the prospect of returning to the front, I don’t think so.

Viv.

3701B176-A0BC-469B-8BAD-9970316032A0.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back