• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Worts family probably from ladywood

Lynda Harvey

Brummie Born and Bred
I received a Death certificate the other day for an Elizabeth Robinson who died in 1893 in Ravenhurst street Almhouses. I feel sure this is my family, except that the informant was an A.M.Wort, saaid to be a neice. I haven't come across that name before. I found a Ann Marie and Thomas in the 1891 census living in Grosvenor Street. Has anyone come across the name before?
Many thanks
Lynda

Lynda
1920's
A.H. Wort living at 12 Weber Place Cuthbert Rd Winson Green
G.F Wort at 10c Terrace, Lawrence St.St Marys
T.G. Wort 3/59 Clark St Ladywood

Hi Lynda. I knew a Joseph Wort, he lived in Springthorpe road Pype Hayes, that was in the 1940's, He married my wife's sister, then moved to Newtown Row. where a tragedy struck the entire family.

regars Peter

:angel: Here are another family in 1891, maybe it was Ada who was the neice.

Piece: RG12/2408 Place: Aston -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 45
Civil Parish: Aston Ecclesiastical Parish: Christ Church
Folio: 148 Page: 31 Schedule: 185
Address: 20 Highgate Pl

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
WORT James G Head M M 51 Chandelier Maker(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham

WORT Emily Wife M F 42 Warwickshire - Birmingham

WORT Ada Dau S F 25 Dress Maker(Notem) Warwickshire - Birmingham

WORT George W Son S M 27 Grocers Warehouseman(Em'ee)

Last edited:
Thanks for help given yous guys. Will have another look It's trying to tie them in with other family that I know about. Otherwise I have wasted another £7.00. Thanks again
Lynda

The problem with the worts family is they tended to come and go

:angel: This looks like the marriage of Tomas and Ann Maria... So could it be through a 'Hill ' connection to your family maybe???

Marriages Sep 1869
Hill Ann Maria Birmingham 6d82
WORT Thomas Birmingham 6d82

Thanks again Chris. Have found that marriage, but to find the connection, I need to find out who Ann Maries parents were. or Thomas Worts for that matter. I might be clutching at straws.
I just want to prove that the death certificate I have, is for my relative. She was Elizabeth Robinson nee Parkes and I know she was alive in 1891. I will just keep digging and maybe will find it one day.
Lynda

:angel: No stone unturned ....
I found a name connection in 1841:

Piece: HO107/1140/5 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 15
Civil Parish: B'ham Ladywood Ecclesiastical Parish: -
Folio: 54 Page: 18
Address: Albion St

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
LLOYD John M 31 Clerk Ireland
LLOYD Mary F 31 Outside Census County (1841)
LLOYD John M 1 Warwickshire
LLOYD Mary F 2m Warwickshire
HILL Mary F 62 Nurse Outside Census County (1841)
CAPEWELL Ann F 21 Female Servant Warwickshire
PARKES Elizabeth F 21 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)

I can see why you are an angel, and really please don't put yourself to too much trouble. I have her marriage certificate, and she married in Edgbaston Parish in 1840 so was a Robinson by then, and they are both said to have lived in Balsall Heath. she was born 3/02/1818 which was the right age. Have them both in 1851, not 41 at present. Also my GGrandfather was born 1841 Richard George.
Lynda

Back