• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Worthington "E"

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
Anyone fancy a pint of Worthington? You can get one in at the Burton Brewery Tap which is
a smart bar ajacent to the revived National Brewery Centre. The Tap is open to the public from
11am, serves real beer crafted in the onsite microbrewery.My advice? take a TT driver with you,
Bernard(TT= tea total)View attachment 61083

How I would love a pint of Worthington E, used to sup that a lot in the 60's 70's and early 80's I think the last one I had was in 1992 in a pub in Mumbles.

Did you know by the way, Worthingtons closed down in 1937, Bass just kept the name and it was brewed by them
in Burton. I can remember going in the Bass offices in High Street Burton with a COD parcel, it was like an old
Dickens film, lines of high wooden desks and chairs, it took them years to get into the modern world, Bernard

Hi bernard and humprey
now you arte talking about a decent blend of a drink yes it was always a good drink and yes to make and enjoy
the pleasure of drinking it i would always sup it and lingure it when ever i was in an establishment where that was sold
i knew it was a good pint where ever you go if i seen it i would go for it as first choice
have a nice day guys best wishes astonion

Hi Astonian,

I remember one Christmas many years ago working in a pub where they
normally served 'E', but for some reason there was a shortage and they ran out.
By chance the gaffer had ordered quite a large number of the 'Party 7' 7 Pint cans,
and the brewery had accidentally sent him packs instead of singles.

Guess who had the job of unscrewing the triangular connectors from empty kegs,
and filling the kegs from the cans via a tun dish. Several applications of the CO2
line coupled with rolling aroung the cellar floor completed the job. Even then, the
gaffer would only sell it at the higher price in the lounge. He must have made a mint!

Kind regards

Dave

hi nick
i remember the old telly advert it sang a double diamond works wonders every time
but not in my case i thought it was really discusting to to drink it did not taste real hops but real malt vinigar
i reckon it would have been best stripping paint
have your self a good day best wishes astonion

Bernie that might get Pete back but we will have to pitch a tent in your garden. He love a pin of Worthies. {Or three}. Jean.

Could not agree with you more Astonian, after a night out at the Tower or Locarno on DD draught my head never used to clear until around 5 p.m. the next day, bloomin' awful stuff.

Never liked mild or bitter only half of mild and a sam brown. I used to like DD as I found it smoother than other beers, wouldn't have the nerve to have asked for a pint of milk stout. Only drink scotch now (or lager when out with friends) so don't have the same problem.

Thank goodness we're still able to brew bitter beers as I think I'm a dying breed. When I'm out with the family it's 4 pints of lager and a Worthington for Dad!!

Back