• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Worrall

P

pamdownunder

Is there anyone out there connected to the family of Thomas Worrall and Fanny Astley? Thomas was born in Birmingham 1870, the son of Thomas Worrall and Ellen Allcott. Thomas was the son of George [Charles?] Worrall and Rhoda Tranter.

Re: Any Worralls out there?

Pam, I was a Worrall. Your names don't tie in with my ancestors. But who knows - further back. My gt gt grandfather was Samuel Worral, born June 1802. His father was Joseph Worrall, and all of his children were baptised at Cannon Street Meeting House.

Hi Di;
I dont see any connection with those names or the meeting house unfortunately. It would be great to find some of my husbans rels. His grandfather John Louis Worrall came here to Australia after the first world war.

Hi Eric

My dad's brother Jack married a Gladys. But I dont know if she ever worked in Witton.

Not this one then Di, she died a spinster, she was a 'friend' of my dad and lived, I think, in Summer Road, Erdington in the sixties.

Eric, my gt grandfather was one of ten sons, and father to ten children, so there must be a lot of Worrall's out there who are related to the family. :)

These are the Worralls I am after on the 1891 census 272 Watery Lane Aston Warwick All born Birmingham [Aston]
Thomas aged 55 Head
Ellen 45 Wife
Sarah 22 dau
Alfred 19 s
Charles 17 s
Ellen 15 dau
Arthur 10 s
Alice 8 dau
Florence 6 dau
Edith 4 dau
Sarah Allcott mother in law 80.
Thomas snr was the son of George [Charles] and Rhoda Tranter. He had a sister Eliza and a brother William.

Dont know if it is of any help but l beleive there was a family by the name of Worrel that kept a small shop in Windsor Street next to waste ground on corner of Great Lister Street in the 1940's, if l am correct it will appear in Kelly's Directories of those years.
l cannot always get to Birmingham ( Maybe someone lives closer ) but if a lookup is requested l can do it next time l go but cannot say when. Sorry l just realised l am way out with the Dates but will still post it anyway.

My G-G-Gran was a Worrall - from Leicestershire

These are the Worralls I am after on the 1891 census 272 Watery Lane Aston Warwick All born Birmingham [Aston]
Thomas aged 55 Head
Ellen 45 Wife
Sarah 22 dau
Alfred 19 s
Charles 17 s
Ellen 15 dau
Arthur 10 s
Alice 8 dau
Florence 6 dau
Edith 4 dau
Sarah Allcott mother in law 80.
Thomas snr was the son of George [Charles] and Rhoda Tranter. He had a sister Eliza and a brother William.
Hi there pamdownunder, my great great grandparents were Thomas Worrall and Ellen Allcott. My great grandfather was a Thomas, but as far as I know he was married to a Selina Ada Knowles. I've found no mention of a Fanny Astley in my research, which I admit has not been extensive. I believe my great grandfather ran The Sailors Return on Watery Lane for a time. However, I've been told by an older member of our family that the Worrall's ran a number of pubs in Birmingham in the past.

hi bob the post that pamdownunder made was way back in 2006 and as she is now showing as only a guest and not a full member unless she rejoins the forum will not be able to reply to you

hi bob the post that pamdownunder made was way back in 2006 and as she is now showing as only a guest and not a full member unless she rejoins the forum will not be able to reply to you
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll look out for that in the future.

In the mid 1960's I lived in Nansen Road, Alum Rock. Our next door neighbour was Mrs. Worrall and her son Bryan. Mrs. Worrall's husband had died. I have no idea how old she was.

Dont know if it is of any help but l beleive there was a family by the name of Worrel that kept a small shop in Windsor Street next to waste ground on corner of Great Lister Street in the 1940's, if l am correct it will appear in Kelly's Directories of those years.
l cannot always get to Birmingham ( Maybe someone lives closer ) but if a lookup is requested l can do it next time l go but cannot say when. Sorry l just realised l am way out with the Dates but will still post it anyway.
Yes I lived in Windsor Street opposite the little shop. Got all our bits and sweeties from there

Back