• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wormington shirt makers, Worcester Street

Not sure Tinpot. But given the size if the staff I’d imagine they were suppliers to other outlets, as well as perhaps their own shop. Found this obit about the founder. Viv.

5A1CE17F-EC98-4A8B-89DF-51C2C080C193.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

The Wormington shirt making business interested me because one doesn't naturally associate Brum with clothing and textile trades. Wormingtons were also making or selling gloves and hosiery.Tailors and dressmakers must have been very common. Likewise hat makers.

Quite a good size business. Did they have a shop front on Worcester street, may be doing made-to-measure, or were they purely suppliers?
my late mother sister and uncle all worked there my late uncle worked there all his life, he was head cutter , his name was Cyril wattis he passed away age 96 they were famous for made to measured shirts , my mother and sister were sewing machine shirt makers , the business ceased in the late sixties , Thay had a shop in christ church passage , my uncle and another, employee ran the shop selling ready made shirts the wormington family came from droitwitch

my late mother sister and uncle all worked there my late uncle worked there all his life, he was head cutter , his name was Cyril wattis he passed away age 96 they were famous for made to measured shirts , my mother and sister were sewing machine shirt makers , the business ceased in the late sixties , Thay had a shop in christ church passage , my uncle and another, employee ran the shop selling ready made shirts the wormington family came from droitwitch
Did you spend any time in the shop Patricia? I had an uncle who worked in a Burtons shop and my father occasionally took me with him, when I was a child, to see his brother. I loved looking at all the fabric samples for suits. Tinpot

Another early view of the Wormington premises. Don't know the date. I wonder what the interesting looking tower was in the background? Can just make out "Hippodrome" on original. Surely not a theater at that date?

Attachments

• wormington 03.jpg
    wormington 03.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 11
Back