• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

World War Two Posters

If you were allowed to join the Land Army. My Mother wanted to but because she lived in Shirley and could cycle to the Rover (without needing digs) she was sent there for her war work. Two weeks days and two weeks nights which she did not enjoy.
Sorry not really a poster but a comment on one!

Last edited:
The artwork of many of the WW2 posters has been mentioned before. I can imagine how uplifting and uniting some of these posters must have seemed. A credit to the artists and designers. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here is a WW2 poster in Ford Street Hockley with advice for housewives. It's a bit tattered because the street had been bombed.
Wartime Advert.jpg

Thanks OM. There are several earlier mentions of posters on walls and they did have supporting photos, but sadly all of these have been lost. If anyone finds any more, please do post then as it's interesting to see where the posters were placed.

I'm in the process of replacing the earlier lost images of posters. Some are relatively easy to find, others not. But if you have any of those please post them here and I can replace them in the posts.

As I've been looking at lots of posters to replace the lost ones, I notice various ministries used posters to give people advice. I bet all the young lads of the time loved this one. Viv.

image.jpeg

T
iu
iu

iu

Sorry this is London, I could not find a Birmingham version, however, the poster was applicable to Birmingham who not only recruited women but many volunteers to man services at the peak times.

On a more sombre note, had it not been for the brave defenders of our country during the Battle of Britain thwarting the success of Operation Sea Lion, these are the sort of signs Brummies could well have seen in their city.
The sings were in Paris but they appeared everywhere that was under occupation.
iu

Looking at all these posters which were produced makes you realise what a significant activity this was during the War. There must have been army of people employed in the creating, painting, drawing, slogan writing, printing, distributing and fixing of posters.

Health. Some useful hints for keeping healthy on the home front during the War. Specific mentions are made of air raid shelters, so must have been thought that shelters were or potentially increased the risk of infections. Viv.

image.jpeg

I actually saw this one and gave two shillings towards it collected at the school sixpence per week. £10,000,000 was a lot of money in those days ...:D
Warshipweek1942.jpg

Some more - each of enormous size - which graced the side of the Town Hall. And one on the Times Furnishing building. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

If you were allowed to join the Land Army. My Mother wanted to but because she lived in Shirley and could cycle to the Rover (without needing digs) she was sent there for her war work. Two weeks days and two weeks nights which she did not enjoy.
Sorry not really a poster but a comment on one!

janice i am thinking of going to the black country museums 40s weekend dressed as land army girl:D

lyn

Amateur wartime posters (signs) put up by the owners of bomb blasted shops in Bromford Lane Erdington. The shop on the left is a butchers who was definitely 'open' all day. The shop on the right was a barbers who had a 'blasted close shave'. They still had a sense of humour even though their shops were wrecked.
bromfordbomb.jpg
from shoothill collection

yes something like that alan although i may ditch the pitch fork lol...ok janice will get a photo...its not till july

Hang on to the pitchfork Lyn, you never know who or what you might encounter. Remember what L/Cpl. Jones often said 'they don't like it up 'em, Mr. Mainwaring':eek:
I hear tales about those north of Smethwick! :D

Back