• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

World war One Hospitals

L

leahcim

My father served in Mesopotamia in 1916 where he was very badly wounded and was in an Indian Hospital for about 18 months. He returned to England and was in a Birmingham Hospital for his final convalescence. Whilst here he met my mother who was living in Middleton Hall Road. Kinsgs Norton.I believe that he must have been nearby because after he returned from being discharged in Dublin he returned to live in Pershore Road until they married at St. Edwards Catholic Church in Raddlebarn Road. My research indicates that there may have been a number of hospitals in this area but I am trying to work out which one he was in as he was recovering from spinal and hip wounds.

I would be very intereted to have any information which might pinpoint which hosptal he might have been in.

Michael McDonnell Australia:cool:

I am trying to identify which hospital my late father would have been in when he returned from being in an Indian hospital for 18 months after being very badly wounded in Mesopotamia in 1916. In late 1917 whilst still convalesing in a hospital near Bournville he met my mother on a tram. She was working in Middleton Hall Road and after he was discharged in Dublin in February 1918 he returned to live in 77 Pershore Road Stirchley close by prior to their marriage at St. Edwards Church in Raddlebarn Road in August 1918.

My fathers wounds were to his back and hip due to an exploding Turkish shell and I assume that his hospital treatment would have needed some treatment directed to this although the shrapnel still remained in place until he died as it could not be removed as it was deemed too dangerous.
I know that there were a number of hospitals near to where my mother lived and where they married and I wonder if anyone knows if one of them specifically wounded soldiers with such injuries.

Any help greatully recieved

Michael McDonnell Adelaide Australia

I am trying to identify which hospital my late father would have been in when he returned from being in an Indian hospital for 18 months after being very badly wounded in Mesopotamia in 1916. In late 1917 whilst still convalesing in a hospital near Bournville he met my mother on a tram. She was working in Middleton Hall Road and after he was discharged in Dublin in February 1918 he returned to live in 77 Pershore Road Stirchley close by prior to their marriage at St. Edwards Church in Raddlebarn Road in August 1918.

My fathers wounds were to his back and hip due to an exploding Turkish shell and I assume that his hospital treatment would have needed some treatment directed to this although the shrapnel still remained in place until he died as it could not be removed as it was deemed too dangerous.
I know that there were a number of hospitals near to where my mother lived and where they married and I wonder if anyone knows if one of them specifically wounded soldiers with such injuries.
Any help greatully recieved

Michael McDonnell Adelaide Australia

You may find somethimg here
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2867&highlight=war+hospitals

Back