• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

World War 2 Service Records

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
Can anyone tell me the address of where to send for WW2 Service Records please,i know it use to be in Middlesex but
wondering if it had changed. so if possible could i have the full address please.
Thankyou
Carolann

Hi Carolann,
WW2 Army records are at Historical Records Dept, Browns Street (I think) Glasgow, I will
check out exactly tomorrw, too cream crackered to do it now,

PS,,you will need to send off proof of your "rights" to even ask for your WW2 heroes records,
How you are related & proof of His & yours (Usually birth certs Ok
Cheers John Y

Hi again Carolann, your info as promised,

Army Personnel Centre,
Historical Disclosures
Mail Point 515, Kentigern House
65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX
Tel# 0845 600 9663, You will need to fill in a "Subject Access Request"
and a "Certificate of Kinship",
These may be accessible on T,internet but Google or phone,,
Good luck John Y

Last edited:
Hi John,
Thankyou very much i am really grateful to to you for taking the time and trouble
to look for me.

Many Thanks
Carolann

Hi Carolann, ,,No problem, its my pleasure to assist you to locate one of "our boys" to whom we owe so much.

Historical Disclosures will provide you his complete Service Record & Medals List, their fee I think is £50
and will take about 6 months to arrive after you have sent the completed forms back.
(The same Dept deals with present serving troops/Widows/recent conflict claims etc) so Family research
WW1 & WW2 is not (understandably) at the forefront of their duties. So patience is required ok.

The records (when they arrive) are really worth it,, I found my Uncle John Young(Yep I carry his name)
my Hero killed in N Africa & buried at Medjez-el-Bab in Tunisia,
We (Family) have been over there 11th of 11th at 11 am & given him & his mates a few cans of Mild from
Aston Brewery to whet that Sun-baked earth with love & respect to them all sleeping there.
My wife & sister cried, I didn,t, 6ft 15 stone Brummie nutters don,t cry, they just get sand in their eye,
Best regards John Y

Last edited:
Hi Carolann,
I recently received my grandad's WW2 records and it makes for fascinating reading. It cost me £30, and takes 9 months. They do send you a letter to let you know this in case you don't wish to proceed, but it was well worth the wait.

Craig

Hi Craig

If you don't mind me asking when did you send for yours? I sent for my Dad's records about 10 months ago but am still eagerly awaiting them:)

Suzanne

Suzanne, I sent for my great uncles WW1 records, after a bit of time to get permission from his daughter, still living in Australia, it took just 11 months after all the paperwork had been successfully completed,so they may just be busy.
Sue

Hi I think you may find that the Mail Point for non personal ( I mean your not your own service) is 555. I had a family record back in 10 days from 555 but beforehand had been told it may take some time. My Mother in Law is still awaiting her own records and the application to Mail Point 515 was made at the same time. However preference is given to recent personnel for understandable reasons. Records are really worthwhile reading so any wait is OK!!!! Have a look at the UK Veterans website for links and information. www.veterans-uk.info
DJRVST

Good news! I have received my Dad's WW2 Army Service Records. Now to try and wade through all the abbreviations!! They have sent me a list of them but not everything seems covered. He was a Gunner in the R.A and what seems to be 15th Bty HAA (Heavy Artillery) and 6th Coastal Regiment and he was in Trincomalee. Does any one know what 2 Echelon India means? In short his records reads as:

29.12.37 - 20.04.39 - HOME
21.04.39 - 27.06.43 - CEYLON
28.06.43 - 31.05.44 - INDIA
01.06.44 - 09.03.45 - HOME
10.03.45 - 14.02.46 - N.W. EUROPE
15.02.46 - 19.06.46 - HOME
20.06.46 - 28.12.49 - B.RES

Suzanne

Good news! I have received my Dad's WW2 Army Service Records. Now to try and wade through all the abbreviations!! They have sent me a list of them but not everything seems covered. He was a Gunner in the R.A and what seems to be 15th Bty HAA (Heavy Artillery) and 6th Coastal Regiment and he was in Trincomalee. Does any one know what 2 Echelon India means? In short his records reads as:

29.12.37 - 20.04.39 - HOME
21.04.39 - 27.06.43 - CEYLON
28.06.43 - 31.05.44 - INDIA
01.06.44 - 09.03.45 - HOME
10.03.45 - 14.02.46 - N.W. EUROPE
15.02.46 - 19.06.46 - HOME
20.06.46 - 28.12.49 - B.RES

Suzanne
Good luck with abbreviations Suzanne !
We recently got my wife's (late) father's records and but for the fact that I'm an old soldier most of the entries would've been gibberish.
(15 Bty HAA means 15 Battery Heavy Anti-Aircraft, the guns would probably have been the 3.7 inch).

You're welcome.
If you come across any more mysteries there are quite a few veterans around here that will be able to help out.

Back