• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

World War 2 look up

Vixen

master brummie
Is someone with military record access able to see if they can find some records for my grandad George Hadley. George Hadley was born on 8 February 1924, his father was John william hadley 6th Dec 1892/3 and his mother, May Elizabeth Johns 1896. He married Vera Swinden in January 1951 in Birmingham,

I believe George Hadley was in the RAF. I'm unsure if nan Vera was in the military although I have a gut feeling she may have been. Would be grateful if there is any records someone can find for George and/or Vera. Both came from Aston birmingham and lived at one point on bendall road/St. They did move at some point to Exeter, Devon. Thanks

Military records for WW2 are not available yet because of the 100 Year privacy rule.
rosie

Edit, I see you have the answer on a different thread!

Cant comment on WW2 Records for the RAF , But my Wife wanted to get her Fathers WW2 Army Records, along with the application form, Birth and Death Certificate and fees (only can pay for by Cheque ) she sent off to Glasgow for them she knew that it would take about 6 months (thats what they say) This was last November 2019, 3 weeks ago she recivied application form, documents and Cheque back with a note saying ´´ Owing to covid there is nobody working in the office and your Cheque is out of date please reapply, she was very upset, 1) 4 months after sending off nothing has been done 2) How can a Cheque run out when not even cashed 3) why 4 months after start of covid they sent this letter out. We do not live in UK and do not have a Cheque book (this is 2020) we had to get my Sister in Law to write one, so let alone having to get another application off wait 6 months at least is a utter disgusting when we get around to doing it it will be at least 18 months. When i got my Navy papers no fee, all sent back within 2 months excellent service, so good luck

A couple of months ago I applied for my father's service record. He served in the Royal Marines during WW2 and the application and fee was sent to Portsmouth. On Saturday I received an acknowledgement from a Navy office in Swadlincote (!?) to say that they were dealing with the application from now and that due to Covid restrictions, it may take up to 3 months from the date of the letter.
Pre Covid I had applied on behalf of my wife, for my Father in Law's service record from R.A.F. records. Even then it took about 2 months for the record to arrive so the service at the moment isn't really that bad. I can't speak about Army service records

Janice,

And there is very little info available - service no., regiment, and not much else. It's not a service record, and the info is supplied by volunteers not from official documents. I used to be a member, but no longer am.

Maurice :cool:

Thanks, Maurice. I didn't realise that. I did wonder how they got round the 100 year rule. Glad I didn't join. :)

its seems to me that some folk are luckier than others regarding the time it takes to receive WW2 records...i know of someone about 3 years back who applied for her dads records..she was still waiting for them 11 months later when she sadly passed away so never got to see them...over the past 20 years or so there has been such an upsurge in people researching their family ancestry...most of us are not spring chickens so you would think that a faster service would be in place....

lyn

Janice,

I think it's only a fiver a year and I only joined for the ex-service chat rooms, but lapsed it when I didn't manage to contact a single person from my unit. However, I did check for my uncle, Albert Longmore, who was in the Military Police Traffic Division throughout the war until 1946 and served in France and Germany. He was mainly doing mundane jobs like directing traffic on point duty and clearing the road for convoys. I have several photographs taken at the time, but he didn't show up on that site.

Maurice :cool:

Back