• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

World War 1 Photo Requests

Steve R

master brummie
Hello Forum

I will be visiting the Somme battlefields twice over the next month. If any of you out there would like a photograph of a military grave or memorial for a relative that died please send me a private message with details such as Name Rank Regiment (if known) and cemetery if known. I can't promise but will do my best.

Steve R

It's getting close to that time of year again. I will be going to the Somme battlefield the end of March. If anybody would like any picture of grave or memorials to your relatives etc please PM me with the details. Soldiers full name and any regimental details such as service number and regiment will be helpful. Can't promise but haven't let anybody down as yet.
Steve R

steve yet again another very kind offer from you..again thank you for taking photos of my rellies name on the memorial

lyn

Tim
You are very kind thank you. Interestingly throughout our lives there are many occasions that we will remember for both good or bad reasons. One such occasion for me was when I was approached by a friend of a friend to ask if I would take her father and his sister to the battlefield area as her great grandfather had been killed in an area known as Bullecourt. That family member had retuned home on leave from the battlefield and died shortly after returning to the front, not knowing that he had made a daughter whilst on leave. He of course was never to see his daughter and the two people who wished me to take them had promised to take their mother (the soldiers daughter) over to the memorial but they never made it. Now in their 60's they didn't feel capable of the drive and driving on the right. So having agreed a date off we went and over a period of two days visited the battlefield and the memorial to the missing. It was incredibly emotional for them both and very moving. I have to admit I probably underestimated the impact it would have on them. Following on from that a couple of years back I offer to take pictures for those that cannot get over to the Somme region and if people want a wreath or cross laying it is the least I can do. We must never forget.

Steve R

steve what a very moving post you have just made...if everyone in the world thought as you do what a wonderful world it would be...

lyn

Back