• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

World War 1 Pensions

mike jenks

master brummie
Hi

My grandfather served with with distinction but was badly
wounded.
Private Thomas Moran 8th Battalion the Gloucestershire [FONT=&quot]Regiment[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Enlisted on 14/9/14 as No 12990 (his number is in a batch of men who seem to have enlisted in 8 KLR in the Lydney Gloucestershire although I have a note which says that he was associated with Birmingham). He crossed to France 18/7/15 with his Bn (vessel not named in War Diary). He was listed as wounded in the press of 20/12/16. My best guess is that he was wounded in the attack by the Battalion on 18/11/16. The War Diary reports the action as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5am. Formed up in artillery formation preparatory to attack on western outskirts of Grandcourt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.10am. Attack launched. First objective reached and carried. The 10th Royal Warwicks on our right being partially held up our flank was in the air.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Casualties: - 12 Officers and 283 other ranks. [In fact 78 other ranks were killed in action that day].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thomas was evacuated to the UK and discharged from the Army owing to his wounds on 13/12/17 - he was 26 years old at discharge.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He was allocated Silver War Badge No 280860.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One of Granddads’ fallen chums is remembered at the[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Theipal Memorial :-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Walker R E Lance Corporal 37125 8th Bn. Gloucestershire Regiment Husband of Mrs S Walker, of 125, Dudley Rd, Blakenhall, Wolverhampton. Died - 18 November, 1916. Aged -. Memorial - Grandcourt Road Cemetery, Grandcourt - Somme, France. D. 82.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Family continued to live at Phillips Street to 1923.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Later the Family moved to live with Beatrice’s mother who had married a Mr Brown at 605 Holly Lane Erdington.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sadly on the 13th April 1924 Thomas died and was buried in the Roman Catholic Abbey grounds in Erdington.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Speaking to my Mom on friday (93) she claimed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]he had no pension at all from the Army. Three years[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]on the Western Front got you nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He died in Agony some years later from his wounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I checked with Pension records and yes he has no[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]pension record.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is this right my Mom is adament he never had a pension.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Terrible day's. I feel a letter to the MOD is in the wind.[/FONT]

Mike Jenks
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I'm afraid the story is unlikely, Mike. Being discharged under King's Regulations (xvi) after being medically downgraded after a wound virtually always led to a pension. Absence of a record in WO364 means nothing in this regard.

Back