• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

World War 1 family query

sheldontony

master brummie
Can anyone help please? I posted a request for advice on looking up information on my family and a member of this forum not only offered advice but actually spent time finding out details for which I am very grateful. However, this has raised several interesting queries, the biggest being details of war records of two of my family both called Thomas Brickell. One is my great grandfather and the other was his son. Since then I have managed to find out;

Brickell Thomas Reginald Private 18732 died may 12th 1915 age 16 Cheshire Regiment Cemetery Boulogne Eastern
Brickell Thomas Private 25027 died Dec 18th 1916 age 46 Oxford and Bucks light infantry Cemetery brought back to UK and is buried in Abertillery Wales

Would anyone be able to tell me how I can find out where they died and why my great grandfather was 46 years of age but in the army? His son was only 16. I was not aware of any of this until yesterday. I am saddened at the amount of grief my great grandmother must have gone through, losing a son at such a young age and then her husband. Also my grandmother losing her brother and thenfather. She never spoke about any of this. Any information would be very gratefully received.

I am going to the remembrance service tomorrow and for the first time I will be remembering relatives that fell in service.

Thanks for any help

Hi sheldontony,
Have you tried WWW.CWGC.org. ? There are details there of your relatives...cemeteries, addresses etc. Thomas Reginald Brickell was buried CWMTILLERY (ST. PAUL) Churchyard, Thomas Brickell is listed as BOULOGNE Eastern Cemetery, VIII.C. 32. Click on the name after you search, I didn't have to put other details as it's an unusual name.
I hope this brings you closer tomorrow.
rosie.

thanks for your reply. This is the site I found my initial information but now I want to go deeper, why was a man of 46 in the army, what happened etc.
It has changed my outlook on tomorrow. The ceremony I go to every year provides the opportunity to lay wooden inscribed crosses and I am thinking of having one for each man. I wonder if anyone has done that for them before, if so how long ago. I will certainly be thinking of them.

You could read up on the war to see what battles took place on those dates and what regiments were involved to see if they match. According to wikipedia the battle of Frezenberg took place between the 8th and 13th May 1913, which was part of the second battle of Ypres. Or you could try the regimental museums.

Had a search on ancestry but there were no service records listed unfortunately, there might have been a war grave record but that's probably what you've already seen.

Just found this -

https://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk/battle_report.php?name=2ndbattleofypres2ndbattalion

Last edited:
Thanks MWS. I will give your suggestions a go. I have visited Ypres twice and attended the Menin Gate ceremony both times. Very moving. The ceremony is carried out by the Fire Brigade I believe. Apparently when the town was overrun in WW2 the instruments were all stored. On the first day the town was freed the instruments came out and the ceremony took place. I believe it has taken place every evening since.

thanks again MWS, the link has now appeared. Makes interesting reading. It is possible Thomas was injured in this engagement, shipped to Boulogne which was a large Hospital area, died of wounds and is buried there.

Tony, copy of entry in The National Roll of the Great War, Birmingham, and link to The War Graves site, all records I found seemed to have slight differences in facts for both, as I understand the National Roll entry would have been submitted by the family so tend to trust that one more than others

https://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3060000

Colin

Attachments

• Bricknell.jpg
    Bricknell.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 36
Surely if Thomas Reginald enlisted in September 1914 he would have been underage as he was born Apr/May/June qtr 1899.

Casualties for the 2nd Cheshire Regt between 26 April - 3 May whilst in the front line at Zonnebeke (Belgium) was 16 killed, 83 wounded and 23 missing.
on 4th May the "Whole line of troops occupying the Ypres Salient was withdrawn" The 2nd Cheshire fell back to a new line running to the east of Frezenberg.
6 May 2nd Cheshire took over line at Verlorenhoek .
8 May three companies of 2nd Cheshires wiped out. What remained of the battalion was brought out of the line by two 2nd Lieutenants. Only 32 men drew rations that evening.

It was quite common for underage lads to enlist during WW1. Specially during the opening few months when thousands enlisted. No birth certificates were required you just lied about your age.

The father aged 46 looks to be a former Regular soldier who was still on the reserve list and was probably mobilised. OR like thousands of others he wanted to do his bit and enlisted.

Terry

Thanks for this Terry. It is so interesting finding out about my two relatives. As Thomas's date of death is recorded as 12th May I take it he probably died of wounds.

Yes he died of wounds and buried in Boulogne were there were base hospitals. Unfortunately you may never get to know the date he was wounded. On his medal index card it gives the date 6 March 1915 when he arrived in France and he died of wounds on 12 May 1915. Sadly he only managed to served around 10 weeks on active service.

Terry

P.s when I am at the Remembrance service this morning I will have him in my thoughts

Terry, I think that Thomas snr just volunteered not that he was a regular soldier.
In 1901 he is in Plymouth the home of his wife Alice Maud and is a Stoker in Gas works.

A bit off topic but i have been unable to find the family in 1911
Thomas Brickell Snr was born circa 1870/1871 Shaftesbury (there are other Thomas Brickell born around that time there)
Alice Maud was born 1872 Plymouth
Alice lilian born March qtr 1897
Thomas Reginald June qtr 1899,
I believe there were 2 more daughters Ada May Victoria in 1901 Plymouth and Annie Winifred in 1903 Plymouth.

Can any-one help me please. I am looking for the grave of Fredrick William Snellus KIA WW1 he was a Army Private born in Bromsgrove. He is named on a plague in St Johns Church Bromsgrove.

Thank you.......

Checked Commonwealth War Graves and no info is coming up with that name

BUT on Ancestry there is a MR Snellus of Bromsgrove in the 1911 Census summary book

Terry

If you use my link in post 2 and spell the name with one L you will have the result...hope this helps.
rosie.

P.S. I posted at the same time as Colin!!

Terry, I think that Thomas snr just volunteered not that he was a regular soldier.
In 1901 he is in Plymouth the home of his wife Alice Maud and is a Stoker in Gas works.

A bit off topic but i have been unable to find the family in 1911
Thomas Brickell Snr was born circa 1870/1871 Shaftesbury (there are other Thomas Brickell born around that time there)
Alice Maud was born 1872 Plymouth
Alice lilian born March qtr 1897
Thomas Reginald June qtr 1899,
I believe there were 2 more daughters Ada May Victoria in 1901 Plymouth and Annie Winifred in 1903 Plymouth.

Are they living in the Bedwellty district?

Thanks for this Terry. how do i get to see medal index card please? I have your book Birmingham Pals here in Spain. I think we met once in the Vaults public house in Knowle, we have a mutual friend

Back