• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Working patterns

caggyken

master brummie
HI ALL
Ihave just been reading about some of todays work shy.It took me back to my memories of my dad. He started work at 14 at the
Rover Tyseley in 1922.By 1939 when the war started he was what they then called a chargehand. He had to switch to working nights.
He worked 7 nights a week in 10 houre shifts. As the war started to swing in our favour it dropped to 6 nights but on the other
night he had to do Home Guard duty. On top of this he kept a large allotment with 3 greenhouses and a pen of chickens to help
supplement the war rations. After the war finished when the Rover were switching back to cars he was told he would have to
switch to a more less paid duty for 12 months. He thought about the family and after 23 years he left and went to the BSA,
also on nights.After a few years there he left and went to Lucas Shaftmoor Lane. The reason he left BSA was that they were allowing
the Japanese to try out nylon bearings in the BSA bikes,and he could forsee the end ,and we all know what was to happen.He retired
from LUCAS at the age of 62.From 1939 till he retired he only worked 2 weeks of days, that was at Lucas, he always said that to many
bosses on days did not know what they were talking about, but them on nights did. Hard work did him no harm ,he passed away a few years ago age 94.
KEN

Back