• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Workhouse

The other thing is - there is an Alfred Brierley (witness at the marriage of Charles and Mary) who is on the prison records on Ancestry. It could be someone totally different but not a terribly common name so likely. I did wonder if Charles was in similar trouble, it might explain why Mary is one her own on the 1901 census but doesn't explain his absence.

The other thing is - there is an Alfred Brierley (witness at the marriage of Charles and Mary) who is on the prison records on Ancestry. It could be someone totally different but not a terribly common name so likely. I did wonder if Charles was in similar trouble, it might explain why Mary is one her own on the 1901 census but doesn't explain his absence.
I think that is the right Alfred Brierly because I think his address is quite close to where Charles and Mary lived and also he and Charles has similar jobs. Could be coincidence but I don't think so.

Did Amy marry Thomas Betts? If so, interesting that she is listed as Amy Elizabeth Humphrey.

Going from her birth registration it would be appear that Charles Hill was her father so despite her being illegitimate I would have expected her to use Hill.

Amy married Thomas Betts and went on to have 16 children with him including my mother who always said her grandfather was 'Charlie Hill.' My grandmother, who was born before they were married, never took his name and on my mother's birth certificate has the maiden name 'Unfrith.' I guess someone wrote down what they thought hey had heard.

Back