• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workhouse Solihull

JoanH

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I wonder, after reading all the messages about the Workhouses of Birmingham if anyone can help me. I have just found out with the aid of 1911 census that my father was in the Instutional Workhouse Solihull nr Birmingham (as it was then). He was not on the 1901 census with his mother but on the Solihull Census for that year. Now I see he was there at the age of 10. Does anyone no of this Workhouse and if I can get further records. My mother and two of her sisters were placed in the George Muller Homes in Bristol in early 1912 on the death of their father. I have managed to get all the records from that home. Any help would be gratefully received.
JoanH

hI, MANY THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION YOU GAVE ME AND THE ADDRESSES TO CONTACT. IT WOULD APPEAR THAT SOLIHULL AMALGAMATED WITH SELLY OAK AT SOME POINT AND LOOKING AT THE POTHER ADDRESS YOU GAVE, THE INFORMATION COULD BE AT THE BIRMINGHAM CENTRAL LIBRARY.
AS FATHERS NAME IS ON THE 1901 CENSUS SOLIHULL AND NOT WITH MOTHER IN GREET, YARDLEY I CAN ONLY PRESUME SHE HAD HIM AT THE UNION INSTITUTE AND LEFT THE POOR THING THERE.
MANY MANY THANKS FOR THE ADDRESSES YOU GAVE.
JOANH

Hi Joan H,

If you telephone Solihull Library , ask to be put through to -
Tracy Williams in the Heritage and Local Studies Department.
Tel: 0121 704 6977
email - [email protected]

Address:
Solihull Heritage & Local Studies
Central Library,
Homer Road
Solihull
B91 3RG

Hello Bonjalu, many thanks for the information. I had thought that Solihull Insitute and merged with Selly Oak and that records were at the Central Library Birmingham.
I will give Solihull a ring and hope they have some information, even if its passing me to somewhere else.
I had a similar experience with my mother and her two sisters. They had to go into an Orpanage in 1912 after their father died and their mother was left with 6 children
I eventually tracked them down at the George Muller Orphanage in Bristol and managed to get the complete records for £50. Mom was there from the age of 5 until 1923. Such terrible things happened in those days, I cried when I read the reports.
Many thanks and I hope you have such luck with your search.
JoanH

Back