• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workhouse Records

jackie hubbard

I was wondering about records for Workhouses. The 1881 Census indicates my great-great grandmother, Martha Wood, as the inmate of a Workhouse, where she died. I have a copy of the Death Certificate: signed by Henry Finchham, Deputy Master, Workhouse (Western Road). Occupation: Unknown of Birmingham. CAUSE: Old Age.
Her maiden name was Martha Dewsbury and she was born in Walsall, Staffordshire, in 1798. However, she did live in Birmingham after her marriage. I have tried to check Workhouse admissions, but have not found anything. I'm not totally convinced that this Martha Wood and Martha Dewsbury are the same person

hi jackie...my understanding is that there are no surviving records for western road workhouse prior to 1880 but my advise would be to contact library of birmingham to make sure...best of luck

lyn

Back