• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workhouse records

Hi again, Just a thought...You can't have the certificates ready in an hour or so any more, except if you pay extra, might save you a journey. I'm not sure if Mr. Yates still works there, he used to be very helpful, on the phone.
rosie.

thank you rosie
i think john yates still works there it will be worth my while giving him a ring and possibly save myself a trip
josei

Do you know how I can access records of residents in Birmingham workhouse in 1883/4. My great grandfather was there with his mother Elizabeth Jane Vaughan. They were taken out of the workhouse by John Meakin Charlesworth who adopted him. JMC was already married so the whole thing is a bit strange. How typical was it for someone to 'rescue' someone from the workhouse? There's a family story that a solictor paid JMC to adopt my great grandfather. Any held you be appreciated

Didn't John marry Elizabeth in 1889 and so just became his stepfather?

I see that their daughter Nellie was registered (in Nuneaton) as Nellie Charlesworth Vaughan, which seems to indicate that their relationship began some years before they married.

There are some workhouse records at the Library of Bham but no admission/discharge records.

Last edited:
It looks as if John may still have been married to his first wife (died 1897?) when he married Elizabeth, so bigamous perhaps.

John was living in Hinckley in 1881 which close to Nuneaton.

Elizabeth appears to have been living on Unett St, Bham in 1881 boarder of a Louisa Blakeney with son (Walter) listed as Fords for some reason, Walter being reg. as such also?

It looks as if John may still have been married to his first wife (died 1897?) when he married Elizabeth, so bigamous perhaps.
Perhaps that is why the marriage seems to be registered in Sheffield in 1889

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Interesting article in Derby Advertiser and Journal 25th April 1879. May explain why he wasn't with his wife.
Derby Advertiser 1879 1st.JPG

Attachments

• Derby Advertiser 1879 2nd.JPG
    Derby Advertiser 1879 2nd.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 14
  • Appreciate
She must have had him back that time as they were still together in 1881, though not for too long as Nellie was reg. Mar 1883.

I'd surmise she probably left him.

Do you know how I can access records of residents in Birmingham workhouse in 1883/4. My great grandfather was there with his mother Elizabeth Jane Vaughan. They were taken out of the workhouse by John Meakin Charlesworth who adopted him. JMC was already married so the whole thing is a bit strange. How typical was it for someone to 'rescue' someone from the workhouse? There's a family story that a solictor paid JMC to adopt my great grandfather. Any held you be appreciated
How do you know they were in the workhouse?
There is a marriage cert for a Walter Herbert Charlesworth which states his Father was a "solicitor" - at least I think that is what is says.
1696512714152.png

When Nellie's birth was registered as Ellen Charlesworth Vaughan the mmn was Ford. Same as for Walter,
The other 2 girls were reg with mmn Vaughan.

Can't make out the second word, first looks like solicitor. Father's name appears to be a bit of a fudge but perhaps he knew who his real father was and used part of his details with those of his step father.

There is a tree on familysearch that gives his birthplace as the workhouse. No idea if that's correct but it does list a dob (Feb), so may they have seen a birth certificate.

As mentioned previously I think mother and son were living in Unett St in 1881, so not their for long maybe.

The couple listed in Unett street are both as Fords which appears to have been what Walter's birth was registered as. Place of birth for that Lizzie is Wem the same as Elizabeth gives when she is Charlesworth on 1891 census.
Agree about Walter and I can't read the second word - looks like "Hatter"!

• Appreciate
In context with gailyvonne's question, it's difficult to say how the mention of solicitor on Walter's marriage relates or if the name Ford was the name of Walter's father.

And in regards the workhouse and a solicitor paying JMC to 'take on' Elizabeth & Walter. JMC would seem to be an odd choice - a married man living some distance away - there must have better local choices, unless the intention was to get them as far away as possible.

Still, an interesting story but difficult/impossible to prove.

Back