• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Workhouse records

Marney

proper brummie kid
Please can anyone tell me if there are records available for the workhouses up to and including 1831? Ann JONES, possibly my 3xgt grandmother, was buried in St Martin's 19 Sep 1831 aged 50 her residence was given as the workhouse.
Marney

Hi Mike
I have tried that site but it doesn't give useable information about workhouse records. Thank you for your reply
Marney

Hi Les
I have looked at the site and it also doesn't give information about extant workhouse records. Thanks for your reply
Marney

Records

• Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service, Central Library, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham B3 3HQ. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1783-1930); Indoor relief lists (1889-1915); Baptism registers (1864 onwards); Workhouse infirmary (later Dudley Road Hospital) admission and discharge registers (1899 onwards with many gaps and in poor condition); Various other workhouse infirmary records e.g. post mortems, death registers (from early 1900s); Marston Green Cottage Homes registers (1880-1934).Records
    • Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service, Central Library, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham B3 3HQ. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1783-1930); Indoor relief lists (1889-1915); Baptism registers (1864 onwards); Workhouse infirmary (later Dudley Road Hospital) admission and discharge registers (1899 onwards with many gaps and in poor condition); Various other workhouse infirmary records e.g. post mortems, death registers (from early 1900s); Marston Green Cottage Homes registers (1880-1934).

Les, Thank you for posting that information - I am sure it will be very helpful to many people (including me)
Polly :)

Hello, would just like to say thank you. .... The school badge brought back memories /stories that my mother used to tell me around Billesley school I did have my mother school badge for years but misplaced it when moving house. Irean

Hi

Yep my great grandfather Edward Jenks born well 1849 has been a bit of unknown.
My Grandfather William Jenks I knew well and my Dad 97 is still here.
After a lot of talking I asked my Dad what he knew of his Grandad.
He was never spoken about. All he knew was he got the sack for fighting at
work he was a cast Iron bed fettler in Digbeth and drank plenty and would
often swim home along the canal. Phew I thought.
searching the 1911 census I re-looked at his Family 10 children living will
in trafalgar road although his wife was declared Head. 1901 census 1911 census.
Anyway I found him here in the 1911 census at Western Road as an inmate.
His death certificate confirms him as a Bed stead Maker in 1919 at 73 years.
I have attached these details.
Birmingham Library have no individual patent details other than records of staff etc
and the History of the Hospital. It on-line anyway.
Car Chinn confirms this.
so where have all the records gone for a few million Brummies.
It just dont add up. Ive see the TV programmes were intial details are available
on admission etc and reasons why.
Ill have to keep on digging perseverance is my second name
I have added the Entrance to the gateway of Misery where Great Grandad went.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• JENKS EDWARD (RG14PN18060 RD384 SD2 ED31 SN9999) - Institution.jpg
    JENKS EDWARD (RG14PN18060 RD384 SD2 ED31 SN9999) - Institution.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 53
  • scan0052.jpg
    scan0052.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Birmingham3.jpg
    Birmingham3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 50
Hi Mike, Thank you for this interesting article. My Grandfather was born in the Bromsgrove workhouse and it was always a secret until I started doing family history and my Mother told me the circumstances. He ended up having a good life marrying and having a family of four girls and a shop in Holloway Head.

It must be harrowing to find such information. I have a great granny who died in Wrexham workhouse. I think this was because her sons died before her, she had no one to look after her. Mike it sounds like drink was his problem this was common at the time especially for those who served in the forces. They also drank to block out the terrible living and working conditions. I expect the records were destroyed in the 60's along with many buildings. Ellaman I am pleased your grandfather had a good life and obviously worked hard to own a shop.

i hope i have pu this on the right thread
i have just found a death record for joseph orme who died in the workhouse and is buried in witton
would any one know if i could get a death cert for him at the registar office he died 1893 age 73 and stated he was married
thank you for any help given josie

i hope i have pu this on the right thread
i have just found a death record for joseph orme who died in the workhouse and is buried in witton
would any one know if i could get a death cert for him at the registar office he died 1893 age 73 and stated he was married
thank you for any help given josie

hi josie providing that joseph died in birmingham and i am assuming that he did then yes the registry office in town will be able to supply you with his death cert...

lyn

lyn
yes its says birmingham workhouse i presume it would be lodge rd workhouse
would you know if the records for witton cemetry are line thank you for you help josie

lyn
yes its says birmingham workhouse i presume it would be lodge rd workhouse
would you know if the records for witton cemetry are line thank you for you help josie[/QUO

hi josie i think the birmingham workhouse was in western road where dudley road hospital is...i have seen a few deaths online for witton but they are not complete..if you phone them up and enquire i have always found them very helpful although sometimes you do have to wait a while for a call back from them depending on how busy they are

lyn

lyn
my brains not working today i was thinking of all saints hospital in lodge rd
thank you for your help i will phone witton to see what they find josie

lyn
my brains not working today i was thinking of all saints hospital in lodge rd
thank you for your help i will phone witton to see what they find josie

dont worry josie my brain does not work well most days lol....actually im glad you posted about witton because ive still got to contact them myself...i know my grandad wood is buried there with no headstone but need to find out the plot..recently found out that my other grandparents are buried together at yardley cem..

good luck

lyn

My 3x Great Grandfather died in in the Workhouse Infirmary Western Rd. in July 1893. I emailed Witton after I had looked it up at the Library and they told me the plot number which was a public grave. The bad news is that the plot was recently covered in tons of soil and re-sold.
I wonder if they share the same grave? Section 154 grave 40586.
Best Wises, rosie.

hi rosie
i phoned witton and waiting on a reply i am going to the registrar office for his death cert
i am puzzled that it dont say infirmary i want to see who the enformer was on his death cert
josie

Hi josie, I'm sorry I should have been clearer!
The Infirmary part was for the sick inmates. The informant on his certificate was the Master T. Martin Hardie. I gather he was not as bad as some Masters were.
rosie.

Hi again, Just a thought...You can't have the certificates ready in an hour or so any more, except if you pay extra, might save you a journey. I'm not sure if Mr. Yates still works there, he used to be very helpful, on the phone.
rosie.

thank you rosie
i think john yates still works there it will be worth my while giving him a ring and possibly save myself a trip
josei

Do you know how I can access records of residents in Birmingham workhouse in 1883/4. My great grandfather was there with his mother Elizabeth Jane Vaughan. They were taken out of the workhouse by John Meakin Charlesworth who adopted him. JMC was already married so the whole thing is a bit strange. How typical was it for someone to 'rescue' someone from the workhouse? There's a family story that a solictor paid JMC to adopt my great grandfather. Any held you be appreciated

Didn't John marry Elizabeth in 1889 and so just became his stepfather?

I see that their daughter Nellie was registered (in Nuneaton) as Nellie Charlesworth Vaughan, which seems to indicate that their relationship began some years before they married.

There are some workhouse records at the Library of Bham but no admission/discharge records.

Last edited:
It looks as if John may still have been married to his first wife (died 1897?) when he married Elizabeth, so bigamous perhaps.

John was living in Hinckley in 1881 which close to Nuneaton.

Elizabeth appears to have been living on Unett St, Bham in 1881 boarder of a Louisa Blakeney with son (Walter) listed as Fords for some reason, Walter being reg. as such also?

It looks as if John may still have been married to his first wife (died 1897?) when he married Elizabeth, so bigamous perhaps.
Perhaps that is why the marriage seems to be registered in Sheffield in 1889

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Interesting article in Derby Advertiser and Journal 25th April 1879. May explain why he wasn't with his wife.
Derby Advertiser 1879 1st.JPG

Attachments

• Derby Advertiser 1879 2nd.JPG
    Derby Advertiser 1879 2nd.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 14
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
She must have had him back that time as they were still together in 1881, though not for too long as Nellie was reg. Mar 1883.

I'd surmise she probably left him.

Do you know how I can access records of residents in Birmingham workhouse in 1883/4. My great grandfather was there with his mother Elizabeth Jane Vaughan. They were taken out of the workhouse by John Meakin Charlesworth who adopted him. JMC was already married so the whole thing is a bit strange. How typical was it for someone to 'rescue' someone from the workhouse? There's a family story that a solictor paid JMC to adopt my great grandfather. Any held you be appreciated
How do you know they were in the workhouse?
There is a marriage cert for a Walter Herbert Charlesworth which states his Father was a "solicitor" - at least I think that is what is says.
1696512714152.png

When Nellie's birth was registered as Ellen Charlesworth Vaughan the mmn was Ford. Same as for Walter,
The other 2 girls were reg with mmn Vaughan.

Back