• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workhouse protocol

arley

knowlegable brummie
In 1872 my great uncle was Christened in St Martins. His father was a labourer living at the workhouse. This poses questions I cannot yet find the answers to and hope more experienced researchers could advise.

1. Because the father is living in the workhouse, does that mean the mother and baby would be there too?
2. Ive seen different workhouses referred to on BHF such as Dudley Road workhouse, would anyone know which workhouse was in or near St Martins around 1872?
3. If the child was born in a workhouse, is that likely to be stated on a birth certificate?

Thank you for reading my post.

Attachments

• 3917A0DD-E06B-498C-8966-C28B068BA9FB.jpeg
    3917A0DD-E06B-498C-8966-C28B068BA9FB.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 9
My thoughts...

1. Not necessarily. I've seen occasions when a husband was in a workhouse and the wife wasn't, and vice versa.

2. There was Aston workhouse but that was probably further away. I think all the workhouses are listed on the left here...

3. I would expect so but it might just say Western Road. However, it only records what the informant tells the registrar so you have to assume they're telling the truth.

The later birth/death certs I have seen tend to use an address (even if everyone knew it was the workhouse). Earlier ones did use addresses like Aston Union.
If the baptism reg had workhouse I would have thought they were all there - otherwise surely the "better" address would have been used. That is just my thoughts.

The later birth/death certs I have seen tend to use an address (even if everyone knew it was the workhouse). Earlier ones did use addresses like Aston Union.
If the baptism reg had workhouse I would have thought they were all there - otherwise surely the "better" address would have been used. That is just my thoughts.
I have now requested the PDF version of the birth certificate. Thank you for your thoughts.

With regard to which workhouse, at that time It would have been the Western road workhouse

My thoughts...

1. Not necessarily. I've seen occasions when a husband was in a workhouse and the wife wasn't, and vice versa.

2. There was Aston workhouse but that was probably further away. I think all the workhouses are listed on the left here...

3. I would expect so but it might just say Western Road. However, it only records what the informant tells the registrar so you have to assume they're telling the truth.
Those are good points. I believe the family were in transit at that time so didn’t yet have a home to speak of. They were also ‘living below the radar’ so the truth is rather elusive :/! Thank you for the link too, some interesting reading there.

i have moved this thread to the correct section of the forum which is the workhouse section

lyn

Back