• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Workhouse deaths/ burials

tandy

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know where people who died in the Birmingham work house were buried. My ancester Robert Edward Tandy died there in 23rd Feb 1880 of Phthsis I assume a type of TB. His wife Emma Tandy also died there I think as records in Marston green childrens home suggest this. I think she may have died in quarter 1877 but I still have to get her death certificate to confim this. The person witnessing the death of Robert Edward Tandy was Mary A Tandy a sister in law Robert had plenty of direct family so I wonder why this was the case.

Gary

[h=1]Death in the Workhouse [/h]If an inmate died in the workhouse, the death was notified to their family who could, if they wished, organize a funeral themselves. If this did not happen, which was often the case because of the expense, the Guardians arranged a burial in a local cemetery or burial ground — this was originally required to be in the parish where the workhouse stood, but later rules allowed it to be the deceased's own parish if they or their relatives had expressed such a wish. A few workhouses had their own burial ground on or adjacent to the workhouse site.
The burial would be in the cheapest possible coffin and in an unmarked grave, into which several coffins might be placed on the same occasion. Under the terms of the 1832 Anatomy Act, bodies unclaimed for forty-eight hours could also be disposed of by donating them for use in medical research and training — this was not specific to workhouses, but applied to any institution whose inmates died while in its care. Deaths were, however, always registered in the normal way.

Source - workhouses.org.uk

My 3xGt. Grandfather died in All Saints Workhouse Infirmary in 1893 and was buried in a public grave in Witton Cemetery. I looked at the microfilm in the Library and then emailed the Cemetery with the details. They sent the grave number, but the plot has been re-used now for private burials.
rosie.

Don't forget to check the opening days and times before making a journey, I think you have to book readers now too!

Good luck with your search!
rosie.

Does anyone know where people who died in the Birmingham work house were buried. My ancester Robert Edward Tandy died there in 23rd Feb 1880 of Phthsis I assume a type of TB. His wife Emma Tandy also died there I think as records in Marston green childrens home suggest this. I think she may have died in quarter 1877 but I still have to get her death certificate to confim this. The person witnessing the death of Robert Edward Tandy was Mary A Tandy a sister in law Robert had plenty of direct family so I wonder why this was the case.

Gary

Hi Gary, my name is Marj McConnell (Tandy) this is my great grandfather, I didn't know where he and Emma died. Would love to hear from you please contact me through instant message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back