• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workhouse Death - 1a Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak

mrose1701

master brummie
I am investigating the death of my wife's grandmother May Brookes who died in the Workhouse/Infirmary at 1a Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak. She had a history of being in the Western Road Workhouse for periods in her later life but ended in Selly Oak - dying of TB at the age of 44.

My question is do the hospital/workhouse records state what happens to the bodies of people who die there? Will it record if they are passed to the family for subsequent burial or whether they are buried at a local church or in a paupers grave?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Hi, my great, great, grandmother died at 2 Raddle Barn Road in 1922. I believe this was the workhouse infirmary. Her home address on the death certificate is given as being in Sparkbrook. However, she is buried in the churchyard at Catshill near Bromsgrove where she was born. I imagine the family must have arranged this at their own expence. So I presume burial must have been dependant on family circumstances. Hope this helps. Jan

Hi Dipseydiva, Think you're right - it will depend on family circumstances on where burial takes place. Just trying to find if the workhouse records would show if the body was passed to the family or buried locally. The married lady in question had two illegitimate children (by another man) born in the workhouse and spent some time in and out of the workhouse. I think from her actions she may have been shunned by her family - would like to try and find her final resting place - might be a sign that her family at least arranged a decent burial for her - she died at the age of 44 from TB.

Hi

I have looked at the burial records on FMP and the only one that comes near to your May Brookes who died 1926? is a MARY Brookes. I have searched the BMD indexes and I can't find a MARY Brookes who died 1926 so I was just wondering if the burial record has recorded MARY instead of May? Unfortunately it doesn't give an age on FMP. Long shot I know but this MARY Brookes was buried in Key Hill in 1926 register number 53478. Perhaps if you put a request on the Key Hill memorial thread, Wendy may have more information regarding this burial?

Regards
Suzanne

Hi SMTR,
Many thanks for that information. I am hopeful that you have found her. She spent her last days in and out of the workhouse in Western Road (Dudley Rd) Workhouse but lived at 4 Blythe Street Ladywood when not at the Workhouse. Have started a new thread in the Cemetries section and hopefully someone from and around Key Hill will be able to help me - I see the name Wendy seems to be a good point of contact - thanks again for your help.

mrose, if your relative died in 1926, the good news is that they didn't die in a workhouse or workhouse infirmary, by 1911 it was Selly Oak Hospital, at least that sounds better. Western Road became Dudley Road Hospital in 1912. The address 1a,1b & 2 Raddlebarn Road, was the hospital registration office.

Colin

mrose, if your relative died in 1926, the good news is that they didn't die in a workhouse or workhouse infirmary, by 1911 it was Selly Oak Hospital, at least that sounds better. Western Road became Dudley Road Hospital in 1912. The address 1a,1b & 2 Raddlebarn Road, was the hospital registration office.

Colin
Many thanks for that. I was aware that the status of these workhouses was changing around this time. My father in law was bought up in Father Hudson's Homes and we have documentation from both them and the Oratory in Edgbaston to show he was born in the workhouse so although their status was changed to hospitals it appears that workhouse activities were still taking place behind the doors during the 1920s. We do believe however that she may have been admitted to Selly Oak as a hospital patient in her final days whilst suffering from TB. She sadly died at the age of 44.

My Gran died in the Back wards od Dudley Road in 1977 - still known as the Workhouse in those days to so many people.
Almost all workhouses survived into the NHS as hospitals, and most have only been replaced/demolished this century, by newer wards!

I am investigating the death of my wife's grandmother May Brookes who died in the Workhouse/Infirmary at 1a Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak. She had a history of being in the Western Road Workhouse for periods in her later life but ended in Selly Oak - dying of TB at the age of 44.

My question is do the hospital/workhouse records state what happens to the bodies of people who die there? Will it record if they are passed to the family for subsequent burial or whether they are buried at a local church or in a paupers grave?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Usually burial arranged by the Workhouse - cheapest possible burial in Cemetery, depending upon date of death. Not always nearest Cemetery either - depends on which ones were open and pricing policy. Death date essential to locate record in Cemetery Index

Back