• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workhouse Admissions

Cassy

knowlegable brummie
Hello I've been told that a relative of mine was in the workhouse in central Birmingham in 1920. Can anyone advise me how I could find the record of her admission? Thank you

Birmingham Archives in the Library of Birmingham have some going back to 1880. Not sure whether yours would be included and whether or not they are subject to the 100 year closure rule. I think from what I read on here that they are a bit slow in answering emails - perhaps Astoness or one of the other regular visitors could advise further.

Maurice

Birmingham Archives in the Library of Birmingham have some going back to 1880. Not sure whether yours would be included and whether or not they are subject to the 100 year closure rule. I think from what I read on here that they are a bit slow in answering emails - perhaps Astoness or one of the other regular visitors could advise further.

Maurice
Thanks

Those records which do survive for Birmingham and Aston Unions seem to be at the Library bit are subject to the 100 year rule so are not normally accessible.

Those records which do survive for Birmingham and Aston Unions seem to be at the Library bit are subject to the 100 year rule so are not normally accessible.
Thanks so much - that saves me a hunt then! I know it was definitely 1920 as it was following the birth of her baby who was born that year.

hi cassy..dont want to put a dampner on things but a few years ago i went to the library to ask about the workhouse records and was told non survived but others have said some did..maybe an idea to phone up the archives dept and ask them...could save you a wasted trip..i would be interested to know how you get on

all the best

lyn

Thanks so much Lyn - I live in Cornwall so would have to do this online. Think I might just drop them an email or something and ask what is available! Will let you know what happens. Cassy x

It was some years since I asked at the old Central Library and I was actually enquiring about the records of the Asylum for the Infant Poor, which was closed in 1852. The answer I got was that nothing survived for that institution, but they had the workhouses from 1880. As I had no interest in the workhouses, I didn't press for further details. Of course, what they have and what you can actually get your hands on, because a lot of records are in such poor condition, may be two entirely different things!

Maurice

Back