• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Worcester & Birmingham Canal in winter

Not at all, there a treat. Would love to know the location, do you have the original pic Eric?

Morturn, Sorry, down loaded pic a week ago and forgot to note location, but it is in Birmingham, maybe the member will see it and state whereabouts

Superb, you can feel the cold. You know in 50 years time the successors of Fiona and Phillip Mounce will be trying to authenticate one of your paintings as genuine and worth millions, I hope you have signed and dated them all. Keep up the good work, you always seem to be able to get the atmosphere of your subject in the picture.

Bob

Right Eric, I have found it. Your pic was taken in the winter of 1963 at Blockhouse Lock No 4 Lock Street, Worcester WR5 1AL. The good news is, the Lock Keepers Cottages are still there on the Birmingham, Worcester canal. I have cycled past it quite a few times.

Block House Lock.JPG

Right Eric, I have found it. Your pic was taken in the winter of 1963 at Blockhouse Lock No 4 Lock Street, Worcester WR5 1AL. The good news is, the Lock Keepers Cottages are still there on the Birmingham, Worcester canal. I have cycled past it quite a few times.

View attachment 136114
Thanks Morturn, you know how it is you think you recognise something, but can't be sure, I am now I have opened and closed this lock three times on our journeys round the Stourbridge ring. Again thanks, brought back memories, two lock gates this end.
Bob

absolutely wonderful eric...boring ? never...could i just add that many of you know that eric used to paint on commission but over the past few years he only likes to paint for pleasure now...a few weeks ago eric was approached by yet another london art gallery and asked if he would paint 2 paintings for one of their customers:) eric has agreed but said that they will definately be his last commission paintings...i wont tell you the price people are prepared to pay to own an eric and they can not be posted on the forum because of copyright but rest assured it is not pennies and anyone (of which there are many of us on the forum) who own an eric are very lucky indeed as he has donated so many of them to our meet up raffles..so at the young age of 89 well done eric carry on painting and thank you

lyn x

Last edited:
Dad used to take us fishing on a canal between Bromsgrove and Droitwich, a place called Martin Hussingtree, maybe the same canal.

Eric, its could have been, although the Droitwich canal which is a branch off the Birmingham Worcester is also near to Martin Hussingtree. I am curious, what year were you fishing there? The Droitwich canal has only just been restores after being abandoned for years.

Last edited:

Just curious how you was able to identify the year.

Eric
It is, between Droitwich & Worcester
Bob

Yes my memory ain't what it used to be :( should really have remembered that because on one trip we had to walk back to Droitwich to catch the bus, a local told us "It's not far." and I recall dad saying "I wonder what's 'far' around here." after trudging for what seemed miles.

Back