• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woolworths Memories

Hi Derek
I used to work at Woolworths on a Saturday on the broken biscuit counter, we had to stand on pallets so that any bits of biscuit that dropped would go through the slats. It was the store on Aston Cross, Birmingham by the Television Studios. Sorry I can't help you with any photos.My time there was short as I worked there whilst staying on at school. Good luck with your writing Denise

It's a pity Marie because now the store has gone it may be worth a lot more the same as an autograph worth much more after the person has died. Jean.

I remember going to woolies as a real small child with my ration book for sweets....mmmm wonder why we had a sweet shop in herbert rd It was previously owned by an old lady known as old gal Cox anyone know anything about Herbert rd

Does anyone remember Woolworths Acocks Green? There used to be young lads outside, offering to look after your pram for 3d. whilst you went into the store. The prams were all line up against the wall of the building next door - many people used this service and I don;t recall any baby being abducted or pram stolen.

I worked at Woolworth`s in Newtown Row in 1964 then moved to
Woolworth`s in Aston Cross.You had to put the money in a tube which
went across the ceiling to the office.
We used to have actors coming in from the Studios out of Crossroads.
I served Audrey out of Coronation St.as she used to be in Crossroads.
I loved working there.
Carol

hi all
I remember when the new woolworths in town was opened around 1960, and the new cafe on the top floor used to do help yourself free iced cold water, they had to stop this service as it was such a novelty that us kids on sat mornings would make a beeline for it and empty it very quickly and so they barred anyone not eating from using it. we also used to get a well known propalatic and blow it up and release it from the stairs on to the sales floor especially if you fancied one of the saturday girls, when it landed on the counter it was a scream when they picked it up and realised what it was, very innocent fun though, my mom worked in woolworths in harborne high st in the mid/late 50's, and when my sister told her she banned me from going to town on sat morns, very sad the passing of this great high street name it invokes such happy childhood memories espesially at christmas even for my boys who have grown up now.
paul stacey

Hi

Wow those broken biscuits. tell the truth forgot
all about them till I read the latest posts.
Clearly a Health and saftey hazzard today.
Bits of boubons and those Jammy dodgers.
Great memories

Mike Jenks

Hi Mike: I agree Mike...what would we have done without those broken biscuits and misshaped Cadbury's chocolates. We all knew what the bags looked like and everyone had their favourites. They were really worth having. Lovely memories.

I worked at Woolworths New Street as a Saturday girl from 1967 to 1970, then in my hols from college at Woolworths in the Bull Ring in 1970 to 1973. The highlight was getting to work on the record counter (during Flower Power summer of 1967), when we could play whatever records we wanted during the week, so long as we played the top 20 at the weekend. We used to put The Beatles' 'Baby You're a Rich Man' on whilst we cashed up!
New Street also had a fresh veg counter, and we used to get stuck by the front doors selling our wares to incoming customers on a Saturday. It was freezing in winter, so we wore gloves! The Bull Ring was more up market with a 'supermarket' for food. I can remember if a customer wanted to pay by cheque - you had to get a supervisor to check it out! Happy Days and great friends were made there.

Hi Carol I too worked at Woolworths Aston Cross Saturdays and sometimes school holidays. I remember the staff from Cross roads coming in from time to time too.

My mom started work at Woolworths in Erdington High Street, just after the war at the ripe old age of fourteen; her name was Doreen Pardoe

Hi carol ,
My sister in law was a superviser at the Aston cross store for years until she got married to my younger brother and had her first child
Her name was Mary bagshaw from a street just down by dyson hall the name of the street just beats me there was a sweet shop on the corner
Of park street and the road she lived on best wishes Alan,,,,,,

WE still have and use an old wooden ironing board bought at the Erdington High Street branch of Woolworths in 1962/3.
Not bad service .

Anyone remember this magazine? It was a Woolworth's magazine around in the 1930s. Judging by the picture, the magazine the lady is holding seems very small. Viv.

image.jpeg

I understand the reason for the overprint 'posted to BHF' but it does, quite often, obscure some lettering. May a slightly smaller font could be used.

Me too Lyn. The image is probably very unreal for most families at the time, but thats advertising for you. Viv.

when i was 13 years old i bought a little tiny camera from the woolworths store on the flat of lodge road
it took cracking pictures i have to say
It only cost me a tanner , meaning if you forot 6d pence only a great little bargain
As a nipper and poor i really wanted a brownie 125 camera so i had to settle for that
but when i came of age and started working i was in a postion to do so
Oh well, those were the days my friend ,we thought they would never end,yep thats right , life is to short my friends
So go out my friends and ejoy yourself ,

Cor blimmey Alan
You have certainly openend my eyes on this one for sure and i can only thank you for your deep detailed information
On good old woolie wonders which myself was not aware of all over the globe so to speak of
And thank you for your time and effort in down loading all that info for us all on the forum
Thanks again Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Back